CALCIUM CHLORIDE AT HOME DEPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToddLaCo

Premium Member
I just made a trip to the Home Depot in Weatherford for some plumbing parts and saw some Calcium Chloride Ice Melter. I spoke to a manager and they have three pallets of the stuff in stock.

I checked the manufacturers web site for specific ingredients, but they did not list the proportion of the ingredients. I have sent them an e-mail requesting this info. I will post it as soon as I get it from them. It does list the exact same major ingredients as Dow Flake though, just not a breakdown of percentages for each.

Here is a link to the manufacturers web site:

http://www.scotwoodindustries.com/pageprodRoadRunner.htm

Like I said, I will keep you posted as I receive info :D

how big were the bags and how much were they....I will check they home depot and lowes by my house....

I think my initial concern may be this:

"A Blend that contains calcium and magnesium chloride pellets. Recognized as one of the most effective blends on the market."

If you were to add Mg at the same rate as Ca, you would likely end up with an imbalance. I suppose that would depend on the ratio of Mg to Ca though.

@GraviT wrote:
I think my initial concern may be this: "A Blend that contains calcium and magnesium chloride pellets. Recognized as one of the most effective blends on the market." If you were to add Mg at the same rate as Ca said:
If it's the same as Dow Flake, the Calcium is 77% of the mixture. I don't remember the amounts of the other three compounds, but I will check them against Dow Flake when/if the company sends me the info on the Roadrunner product.

@kuyatwo wrote:
how big were the bags and how much were they....I will check they home depot and lowes by my house.... said:
40 lb bags were $7.98 each. They are cheap also.

I just spoke with a rep from Scotwood Industries (Manufacturer of Roadrunner) and she said that the Calcium and Magnesium levels of the Roadrunner product are less than 15%. The formula is proprietary so she wouldn't give me specifics, but ca mag less than 15% is no good.

Sorry to get everyones hopes up. This stuff is junk for Reef use. I should have done my research before posting this, but it sure looked like it was going to be the same as Dow Flake. See what happens when you start assuming!!!!