Ca reactor media

You know I have always used A.R.M. which has worked out fairly well. But I know some people that gone to this larger size media and it works really well. The grain size makes the water flow through the reactor very easy. With smaller grain size like A.R.M. sometimes it turns to mush at the bottom of the reactor and it startes clogging up the effluent flow around the media and through the reactor. Some people I know this brand and I am going to this when I buy new media.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-CRM&Category_Code=cmedia

I swear that Gen-x media was not on there last week when I ordered my reactor. The Schuran coral sand was sold out. I just figured I would get ARM locally. It is $28 at Pet o' !

"Large grain schuran style" media is what is recommend for my reactor.

In an email from Geosreef.com, George pointed out that Gen-X brand as a good candidate.

I think that is what I will go with. You want to split shipping Rick? I am nowhere near you is the only problem there.

$18.76 shipping for 4 containers

I have been using the Schuran media....I really like it in the CaRx because like Rick said, it allows easier water flow and does not compact at all....

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/12537/cid/3281

I measured the phosphate coming out of the reactor at 0.50

I bought 2 containers of the Gen-x stuff and I'm waiting to fill my new ca reactor with. I've heard good things about the larger grain media. I currently have ARM, which is nice, but I can't run as much flow/co2 through it or it will mush on me.

Chris

@BnG wrote:
I swear that Gen-x media was not on there last week when I ordered my reactor. The Schuran coral sand was sold out. I just figured I would get ARM locally. It is $28 at Pet o' ! "Large grain schuran style" media is what is recommend for my reactor. In an email from Geosreef.com said:
Sorry, I am just waiting to put the stuff in when it is ready to refill, I already have it here.

I've read that with that particular type of media, you need the pH to drop to 6.2 in your reactor (instead of 6.5 normally).

@Marc wrote:
I've read that with that particular type of media said:
That maybe true with the Shuran media. But with the Gen-X brand that has not been the case with those that are using it.

I run my effluent ph at about 7.1 to keep my alk and calc stable. If I ran it at 6.5 like I tried to in the beginning, I would get a swing in alk from like 8 to 14 in a day or 2.