Ca reactor media - Gen-X C.R.M.

BnG

Membership Expired
It is coral skeletons. They look like they have been tumbling in the surf for a while.

The contents of the jug are damp with fresh water ( I licked it :x )

You need to shoot for an effluent ph of 6.2 - 6.5 to maintain good levels with this media. The benefit of the media is that it shouldn't turn to mush like the ARM media.

I read on the Premium aquatics site that you can just top it off, rather than changing it out.

Anybody tried that?

From what I understand, you can do that. It just disolves away "reef magic" :lol:

I purchased some similar media. The Schuran's media. Same concept.

I have just started to dial a new reactor in. We'll see what happens.

Let me know your experiences as well.

Later

I tried keeping my effluent ph with this media at 6.2-6.5 and it was raising my alk and cal to fast to high. It would go from like 8 to 14 in a day or two. I keep my effluent ph at 7.1 now and it keeps my alk at 9.9 and cal at 460. It made it harder to dial in my reactor thinking that I needed it to be 6.2 -6.5. Of course those are my results and diff. tanks have diff. parameter requirements.

Interesting observation Chris. I'm going to setup my new ca reactor with this Gen-X stuff this weekend. I guess I'll have to start it off at a little higher pH. I'd rather run it at a higher pH b/c my in tank pH is getting pretty low.

Ryan,
Did you finally get your ca reactor fixed?

Yup, for those of you who don't know, I got a Trigger Systems Cacium reactor. The recirculation intake at the top of the tube cracked. The tube cracked around it. He ended up sawing off the top of the tube and modifying the recirculation plumbing to suck out from the top of the reactor. The thing works like a charm. I'm stoked.

Thanks for the input Chris. I am going to watch this very closely. The effluent pH is a perfect 6.3 with the bubbles popping around 17 a minute and the effluent dripping around 1/second. I'll let you know if I have to make any adjustments.

I've been using this media for several months. I have no idea what my effluent pH is, but I have had no probelm keeping my alk and calcium in line with none of the mush problem. I'm hooked!

I am having no problems at all with this media.... I am keeping my pH controller at 6.5 with good results. Although I do have to tinker with the CO2 bubble rate it seems like once a month or so..... :roll:

I have been using schuran knock off for about three months. I keep my pH in the reactor at 6.3

I have had great success and it is so nice to see the reactor running mush free

I installed my new reactor this weekend and I dropped in 16 lbs. of this media along with a lb. of zeomag. I'm not running any gas in it yet (trying to bring down my alk), but I do like the looks of it in the reactor.

Chris