CA Reactor + Kalk

monisa

Premium Member
Is it a problem if you run your Calcium Reactor and your Kalk Reactor simultaneously, is it being done?

I understand that the PH is the major issue, but is it a reality to run both and keep the PH under control so you benefit from both of these.

I want to set my Milwaukee to 6.5 for the CA reactor and get it started tomorrow(finally) but was not sure if I want to take the chance with the Kalk reactor.

Your expertise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey M,

It could take a week or two to tune in your calcium reactor correctly and on a newer tank, you may not seea depressed PH. Once your corals start growing big time, you will have to periodically retune the reactor, once you get to the point that your PH is being affected then....you can think about bringing the kalk reactor online. Remember that you should get your alk and calcium to where you want them to be before bringing the ca reactor online. The ca reactor should maintain... and not be used to adjust these levels, I would not bring a ca andkalk reactor online at the same time.....you will be asking for trouble. I would start with the manufacturer's suggested bubble count's for the CO2 and effluent and go from there. :D

Cheers,

Ton, thanks for the valuable input, I'll take the Kalk Reactor offline and run CA Reactor only.

I will need to test Alk and Calcium levels, plus adjust before I start then.

Why do you need to re-adjust, do you mean that the corals are consuming that much that the Calcium would need to be increased?

Thanks again

@monisa wrote:
Ton said:
M,

Yes you will need to periodically re-adjust the reactor as the corals grow, if you see your levels decreasing you will have to dose to correct levels and then readjust both your bubble count and effuent drip rate.
Also make sure your magnesium is within range also before you start, as it will affect your Alk. After you get the reactor tuned in you still should test your Ca/alk every few days to make sure it is maintaining your levels and is indeed tuned. If your levels are holding up then you can just check weekly. Good luck as tuning can take a while.:D

Cheers,

having a dual chamber reactor i would hold off until for sure you have ph problems

Ok, Kalk goes down, CA will go up.

Ron is coming to dial the initial setup in, Correct Ron. :)

Need to test the CA tomorrow, now I don't have a Magnesium test kit, golly, can't wait to stop buying and start enjoying the view some.

Thanks guys.