Bulk Reef Supply DI Resin

Has anyone had any issues with BRS DI resin getting used up in a short time? I bought the color changing resin and installed in on Jan 31 and have ran about 200 gallons to setup my new tank. Well today when I went to do a water change I noticed the water coming out of the unit is reading 1 TDS and most of the resin has started to turn brown. I measured the TDS going into the unit and it's 27 so I'm not sure what's wrong. This is my first time I've bought the replacemtn resin so I was just wondering if it only last a short time?

Here's what I purchased:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/replacement-filters-and-di-resin/deionization-resin/nuclear-grade-color-changing-di-resin-one-cartridge-refill-1-25-pounds.html

27 going into the DI will use it up more quickly than lower TDS RO water. For example, my system outputs 1 TDS before the DI at my house, so the DI resin lasts longer for me.

Also, beware TDS creep: http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/182-RO-DI-TDS-Creep-is-it-worthy-of-concern

27 is high what is your tds before the ro membrane and your tap water. How old is your ro membrane? Might need to be replaced. Also what is your ratio good water to bad water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is creep too. I alawy run the unit for a few minutes until the tds is lower than 10 before running it into the DI resin.

The TDS before is like 350 and I replaced the membrane 11 or 12 months ago. I'm thinking it may be time to change the filters, but I've been through two BRS resins in about 6 months. I bought the add on unit and it came with resin and it lasted about 4 months and that's when I bought the refill. I was just curious if anyone else was having a similar issue.

I've been exhausting the creep through the drinking line, so I don't think that's the issue. I do have storage tank though and have used it for about 3yrs now and I wonder if it's causing an issue.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

In all honesty your system is operating OK. I am on NTMWD(Garland) and the water is very high in TDS, usually 250+. That takes a toll on our filter systems. I go through a lot of DI resin and have been saving it fo re-processing. I have a dual canister(10" size) DI set-up and it has lasted about 2 months and will need to be changed soon. I do make a lot of water. You may want to get a 10" clear canister to add on for your system and replace the small canister it currently has( Looks like the canister on the very top is your DI). You did not give the gpd rating on the RO membrane but the best rejection you can expect is about 95-98%. If it is a 100gpd membrane they are rated for about 90% rejection. I get about 95% rejection from my dual 100gpd membranes.

I use BRS di resin all the time no issues I get about 8 months out of my first stage DI and I change all filters after 5000 gallons of water! But you have a very high TDS input. Mine is 123 going in and 0 coming out of the membrane before the dual stage DI and running a 150GPD membrane

You prob need to change out
your filters more frequently. I would test your water going before the membrane to see it needs to be replaced. My tds tap water is around 225 I replace my filters every 6 months. Still run my original ro
membrane and changed my di after 8 months. I get 2 tds before di chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should change your prefilters every six months like clockwork, just like you change the A/C filter in your home monthly. Those filters protect the membrane from damage due to chlorine. Smell the carbon blocks when you pull them out and it'll remind you of how a swimming pool smells.

When I had my 280g going with a 100gpd system, I had to change all my filters & DI every five months. The 150gpd system has proven to be far more efficient, so it was a very nice upgrade for my tank's needs.

@DennisF wrote:
In all honesty your system is operating OK. I am on NTMWD(Garland) and the water is very high in TDS said:
Sorry Dennis I just took that pic off the Internet. My RODI is a very similar unit and it does have the small DI, but I'm also running the BRS add-on.

Here's what it looks like:
rodi_1763-single-di.jpg
alt="">