Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump

K_Red_Raider

Membership Expired
Hey guys I was wondering what the best brand of dosing pumps are. Is the Bubble Magnus the best? It is by far the brand that you see the most so that leads me to believe it may be the best. I am thinking about switching from a CA reactor to dosing for a more precise control of ALK, CA, and MG. I have a 120 SPS dominate and realize that this may cost more in the long run but think it would be better for my tank.

1. Is this the best brand?
2. What is the difference between the BM T01 and the BM T11?
3. Can it be controlled with the Apex or is the internal computer accurate enough?
4. What is the best thing to dose for ALK, CA, and MG?

Thanks for any advice

I use low-tech dosing pumps from bulk reef supply hooked up to an Apex and they have been working reliably for the past few years.
Don't know about the BM dosers, but Neptune, vertex and other companies also make "all-in-one" dosers.
The three best things to dose are indeed Ca, ALK, and Mg (especially if you have large SPS load) so ideally get a system that has > three pumps.

I use a peristaltic 4head apex compatible dosing system and use BRS calcium chloride for calcium and BRS soda ash/bicarbonate for alkalinity. I dose Kent techM for mag. It costs a little more but is very easy and helps control briopsis. I think pretty much all the peristaltic pumps that use the small brush motors are all the same and give comparable results. Stepper motors are more reliable and more accurate, but cost significantly more.
If you like to buy locally, Leslie's Pool Supply sells hardness plus for calcium and soda ash for alkalinity. Much cheaper and always available. I know several veteran reefers who use Leslie's products in SPS dominant tanks with great results.

When I used to use Dosers before the reactor. I would use drews Dosers they are very accurate and don't have back siphon issues like some others out there. Depending on your tanks usage you can set hourly dosing. Some set cal during the day and alk at night. I liked doing every 30 mins switch between alk and cal.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Ive been using bubble magus dosing pumps for over a yr now and no issues. They have worked great for me.. very easy to program also. I use brs two part as well

Thanks for the replies. I found a barley used Bubble Magnus so I got it and also went with the BRS total two part kit. I plan on setting it up this weekend.

@Eckolancer wrote:
Some set cal during the day and alk at night. I liked doing every 30 mins switch between alk and cal. said:
1. I had thought about doing the night and day switch but worry about causing a large swing in ALK and would like to keep it as constant as I can.
2. Do you not have chemical reactions with just 30 mins between the ALK and Cal?