Bubble Algae Removal

kelipalmer

Premium Member
Hi all,I bought a 14 gal biocube a few years ago.  The previous owner had a problem with bubble algae.  I completely tore down the tank, dumped all the rock and sand, and completely cleaned everything with vinegar.Since then, my new, established has always had a problem with bubble algae.  I've worked to make sure all the usual suspects are in check (reducing nutrient introduction, increasing nutrient export, shorter light cycle, etc.) as well as manual removal and trying emerald crabs (I've tried several crabs from different sources.  I have never seen a crab eat any algae).  All my chemical numbers are in normal range.  I do weekly 10% water changes. So my question is: Is it possible that the spores survive a vinegar bath cleaning?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Apparently so!  Did you also clean and soak all your hoses and pumps etc...in vinegar?  Were these items all soaked in vinegar for several hours( as in at least 24 hours)?  I ask this becuase just washing it off in vinegar will rarely instantly kill everything, especially plants.  Did you start over with new rock and sand or did you just dry the existing rock and sand out for a couple of days and call it good? (I wouldnt soak your rock or sand in vinegar btw...before you try that, just sayin')If it were me and I was in the same situation I would have filled that tank with about half vinegar and the other half with water and ran it a couple of days with no rock or sand.  I then would have allowed it to dry for several days and then filled it with just water and flushed the system down again for a few hours .  I then would have attempted to reset it up using new rock and sand.  I would have also replaced all my hoses with new ones.  Yeah thats a bit of a process and a painful one I will admit, but thats also a tough algae to get rid of once it gets established in your tank!  Vinegar and Time is a lot cheaper and less headache than fighting the battle!

I did most of what you suggested, except replacing the hoses. I can't remember how long I soaked everything in vineger. But I did replace all of the rock and sand. I will try again! Thanks for the input.