B's 9.5g shallow

I have made an attempt over the past few years to get a small reef going, but because of travel for work it hasn't worked out. Now I have moved up in the world and get to pass all of the travel off to the noobs. Since my 90 is now a FOWLR , I will attempt this reef once again.

Equipment :

Have/already purchased :
24x10x9 - micro-reefs.com
super nano overflow kit - glass-holes.com
Reef Octo. NWB-110 (already have)
Vortech MP20 (already have)
RKE, 2x PC4, SL1, MLC, ALC (already have)

Need to buy:
AI Nano
return pump (undecided)
heater (looking at the Finnex HPS line) http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...ubmersible.html

Goal is to have a mixed reef, invert heavy and the possibility of a couple of small gobies.

Tank will not arrive until after the new year, so the actual build is still a couple of weeks away. I started this early in an attempt to get any feedback on ideas prior to putting it all together.

still trying to decide if I should run a fuge or go with Dr. Tims NP-active pearls. I have read that SPS do great due to the low nutrients, but other "dirty water" coral seem to starve out when using pellets. Is this true or can you just increase feedings to combat the problem?

Its still not in my possession but here are a couple of quick pics of the tank.

8g2.jpg
alt="">

8g.jpg
alt="">

@Bryan wrote:
Vortech MP20 (already have) said:
Just curious... isn't that going to be way too much for a tank this small? I know you can adjust the flow on the Vortechs, but I believe there's a minimum (15%-20% maybe?) before it just stops completely. I don't think the range on the low end is infinitely adjustable.

@Grant wrote:
Just curious... isn't that going to be way too much for a tank this small? I know you can adjust the flow on the Vortechs said:
I'm a little worried about that as well, but since I already had it I'm going to at least try it out. If it shows to be too much then I will be replacing it with the MP10. I just didn't want to throw out the cash unless I needed too.

I have the 20L sitting around that was a sump for my old 40B so I guess I will bring it back to life. Im sort of stuck on a few things though and need a little help.

I have always wanted to do an SPS dominant tank, but never got around to it. I hear of the zeo tanks but never tried, BUT I tried Bio Pellets on my larger tank with great luck at growing algae. On a tank this small would I be better off running a fuge, or GFO/Carbon reactor, or just run with the normal Water changes ? I have the SMR1 now which is meant for pellets, but not sure if they will help that much on such a small tank. Or should I combine a few of these to help keep things in check.

On the Zeo, and with Pellets I hear talk of intentionally overfeeding the tank to prevent some coral from starving out. I may have mis-read that but I think that is what I seen. Does this sound like a true statement ? Also I am looking into 2 types of dosing for the SPS route.

1. Brs 2 part with their dosing pumps (would like to go with the profilux stand alone, but not 100% decided yet)
2. Same dosing system as above but using the ESV B-Ionic 2 part. I have used it in the past and really like it, but I hear great things on the BRS stuff too. Also I can get the ESV local.

Lighting will be LED, 2x Rapid LED PAR38's for now . Looking into an AI sol or nano

Flow will be vortech - Have a 20 now, but thinking it may be overkill so I am leaning toward the 10

Skimmer - Reef Octo NWB110

Return - Quiet One pump, have a 3000 sitting around that I will use for Return and tee off to a manifold system to feed reactors if I go the reactor route. probably a 1200 or so if I run without reactors.

What I really need is for all of the SPS gawds to chime in and steer me in the right direction.

So Lets hear what you guys think.

I would go with biopellets for sure. You can add less than suggested for your water volume if you're worried about it. If you're looking at going for a zeo style tank you'll only get there with an ultra low nutrient system, so biopellets, zeostone or vodka dosing are your only real ulns options. Note, you don't have to keep an ulns for sps. They just have better color and growth.

@Bryan wrote:
[I]@matt_longview wrote:[/I][quote=" fun dip! said:
That's just good customer service, I ordered fun dip and got an overflow kit [smilie=clapping.gif]"]

[smilie=rofl.gif]

Nice lookin' tank B. I'm following along to see what you come up with... and copy when/where I can ;) Is that dip for CandyCanes? or Peppermint Shrimp?

@DaveG99 wrote:
Did you order the return kit from Glass holes too? said:
I already had a few of the pieces needed for the return, so I only ordered the bulkhead. That was the only thing I didn't have. As far as the drain, I got the complete kit.

Want to give a big thanks to member - NITJT for the great deal on the MP10. It was nice to meet you, and great to see such a beautiful tank.