Brass fittings/chillers - Old chillers/bad pipes?

[???
Anybody know about olders chillers having brass in and out lines?
Does anybody know if there are older Fresh v. Salt type of chillers? with different plumbing that might cause a problem with the Saltwater if using a fresh water chiller?
We are looking at an older,(but nice) unit that has brass 1/2inch in and out returns and wondered if anybody has had problems with this.
I have know and seen many new and slightly new 2-3-4 year old units and they all have pvc/white type of fittings, for the in-line of course.
Please let me know if you have any advice and or have heard anything on what I speek.]

[:)
Bulldogger, I think you are right!. I am guessing it was a 1/4-1/3 horse that ran fresh or something like a lab setting. It looks very clean and runs Super and will cool water Sooooo cold and so fast, your fingers might fall off.
I picked it up for $100 cash, in NC. We are looking at NO marking on the machine. We are looking to switch the inerds to a 6inch dia PVC toliet pipe and cap it with the same from H-Depot stock.
Anybody have any thoughts on this item topic and or a quick DYI type of project with this unit, we would like to know. :oops:]

[???
Well, I guess the part of submerged is the question I have with the question.
Submerged into the sump or submerged into the inflow and outflow chiller unit device?
I will guess you mean the device/item that is doing the chilling?the probe?
The unit is an in-line and does not have a Titanium Probe, so the inside probe is? as of yet I have not cracked that part of the internals. If it is a Brass/Copper based probe, then well? we are talking about getting a Titanium dip, OR?, quite possibly a wrap of Epoxy and a nice case of rubberised silicone?, combo deal? I/we do not know at this point.

I know it is not good to run salt through metals of unknow type.
Any thoughts are welcome and questions as well.
I think we need a slight bit more information with respect to your question, with the exact part, witch do you mean?
I know of nobody that builds these units and or modifys them, but I am a tinkering kind of person and yet I do not want to re-invent the wheel, it is easyer to buy these chillers at the store.
If I where to scuff the probe and Epoxy wrap it and then make a1/16inch silicone wrap, by squeezing a inch band of rubberised silicone onto a suran wrap and creating strips of 1 inch wide strips and then adhearing and overlaping these onto the epoxy, but using freash silicone, I would guess that the metal if?, not Titanium, will be covered and wraped in such a way that the salt will not bother or attack the probe?
:grinning:]

[Sounds like what they use to keep either freshwater bait tanks cold or maybe even a Lobster tank. Since they frequently do total water changes it wouldn't be a big deal. It is obviously a comercial rig because all the big boys have used PVC and PVC coated plumbing since at least 1988.(that's when I became interested in reefs) Good luck ya'll, hope you can make it work...would be a great deal if you could.]

[:;):
Yes, I am sure it is a not reef ready unit. I am a good tinker person and will find a good use, with a possible overhaul.
I will be great for our 500gal system, but I do have to make sure it does not over do the chilling. The tank might end up being a Anartic reef tank. I can see the coral with frost bite blue tips.
Thanks for the replys. :nod:]

[I don't think your main concern would be damage to the chiller by the water. I think the concern would be metal from the chiller leaching into your reef water.]

[Why not use it to chill a vat of fresh water and then run a long coil in the fresh water and pump tank water through it.

If you want to sell it I may have interest.]

[:)
The chiller is do for a build up. I have thought of the coil and bucket trick, but, I am thinking it is not efficient in the removal of heat and this might work the unit to hard, unless I run it on a timer and then it is still a check and see all the time deal, do to the weather changes in the garage of course.
I am planning a inerds change and of course it is becasue of the metal/brass & copper contact that this is a must. I have not seen a unit this clean, with this much horse, for this cheep, in some time, but of course the down fall is the slight work to get it clean for reef waters.
I have ordered a Medusa controller, so off we go on the re-build mission. :uhoh:]