Brandon's 210

booker1978

Premium Member
About a year ago, the wife told me to go pick up a fish for my little 2 year old (at the time) and I came back with our first 15 gallon saltwater tank. To commemorate our 1st year as a "saltwater family" we thought what a better way to celebrate than upgrade it by 200 gallons! I've got no complaints!

We really were not planning on making this big of a jump quite yet, but we couldn't pass up a great opportunity presented by a new friend that was selling his old setup (thanks Lance!). He hooked us up big time, so we put a fast-track on the upgrade and now... here we are! I am very fortunate to have a great wife who not only approves of this new hobby, but wants to learn with me... at least once it is setup. Sounds like a great excuse for me to play! As stated before... I am pretty new to this game, so please feel free to critique as the progression occurs.

The first major change that I had to conquer was to rip up the old crappy 1996 builders grade carpet and replace it with concrete acid stain. This was my first attempt at concrete staining and in the end it turned out fantastic... but the process nearly killed me... both figuratively and literally. Let's just say that I am glad that there were no witnesses and/or cameras present when I had my first experience with an industrial floor polisher. I'm just thankful I still my my arms!

Here is a picture of a before shot of the surprises under the crappy carpet:
[attachment=0]rsz_img_1353.jpg[/attachment]

And now what it looks like now with the tank:
[attachment=1]210 Tank.jpg[/attachment]

Overall, I am very pleased... and now my focus goes to the tank! Here we go!

Congrats on your new purchase! The new floor looks great. Best of luck with your new build. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Post lots of pics!

The most difficult thing about the floors is the prep work. Once everything was off if the floor, it actually went pretty quickly.

So I have been doing a lot of work with preparation of the tank.

- I had a dedicated electric line dropped near the tank with a GFCI outlet linked to a regular outlet. It's a 15 amp line, but I believe that should be enough for now. If I need to, I can easily drop another line to help with distribution of the electric load later on. We'll see how crazy I get with adding more toys.

- I restained the stand and reinforced that back brace. The bones of the stand was in good condition when I got it, but it had a little bit of wear. I slapped a couple of coats of classic black stain and the stand looks brand new. I also drilled in a few pocket holes on the back brace to strengthen it up a bit. You can't see it in the pictures below, because I hadn't installed it, but you can use your imagination! The stand does not have doors on it yet, but that will be further down the road once everything is setup. At least I have the stain ready. Here is a before and after pic.
[attachment=1]rsz_img_1389.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]rsz_img_1390.jpg[/attachment]

- I picked up all of the sand I am going to need at the LFS. I got a great deal on all 220 lbs of it. While I was there, I picked up some Miracle Mud to add in the sump. I've heard some good things about it and thought... what the hey!

- I ordered about 150 lbs of dry rock from reef cleaners. It should delivered sometime early next week. The delivery man is not going to like me! I'll leave some cookies... or a six-pack of beer... for him. I have a feeling he is going to be making lots of deliveries to our place in the next few months. [smilie=wink.gif]

Tonight I will be working on the plumbing. I have been contemplating as to how I'm going to plumb this beast for what seems like hours and hours. I think I have drawn about a dozen different designs. I know I'm probably overthinking a lot of it, but I am just trying to think ahead as much as possible. I am sure I will asking for opinions throughout the process. Stay tuned!

Here's the Good News: I've completely plumbed my drain lines and have developed a plan for the return lines.

Now the bad news: I didn't get nearly as far as I was hoping for tonight. The more I work on this build, the more I am finding out that the slow pace is just part of the "fun". Glad that I do not have a patience issue... Oh wait.....

Here are a few pics of how the drain lines turned out. I'm over all very pleased. My goal was to have union disconnects on both and to have ball valves connected, in case I ever need to close them off. The valves will also assist in adjusting flow to both drains leading to my refugium and skimmer side.

3ybevu5u.jpg
alt="">

6a9asaqu.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been able to do a lot of work on the tank setup and can say that is it now up and running! Here is an update of what I have done since the last week:

-I wanted an internal pump so that everything would be enclosed, so I took the advice of checking out a DC pump. I ended up with a Jaebo DC12000... the big boy. I love the flexibility of it and it can pump some serious water! I have made it up to half power and it it pumping a serious amount of water. I am very impressed with how quiet it is too. I can't tell it is on, until the water starts to move. The quality seems to be good, but I thought that if I am going to try something out, now is the time to try it out while the tank is cycling. Plus at $110... I can buy a couple of them for backups.

- installed all of the return lines and figured out a way to hook up the chiller. I think this works and it seems to be flowing fine. I have had to do a little finessing with the shutoff valves to get it the way I wanted to, but I think the setup might work. I plumbed the return lines to split through a tee to both returns of the tank and then put another tee to lead to the chiller. The chiller out then reroutes back to the return section in the sump and dumps through a bulkhead that is directly over this middle section. Here's a pic to help better describe:
[attachment=0]Return - Chiller Plumbing.jpg[/attachment]

The biggest hurdle was to allow enough flow through the chiller and to the right return. I have a valve on the chiller, so I have been able to manipulate the flow through both. Seems to work now, but I am open to suggestions, as I am not sure it is the most ideal option.

- I cleaned the sump and tank one last time and placed about 200 lbs + of Carib Sea Pink Fiji Sand. I kept going backhand forth between this sand and the special grade, but am really pleased with the look. After the sand was in place, I began the LONG process of preparing and placing 210+ gallons of water. Whew! That took a lot longer than I thought (2 days), but then again... thats a hell of a lot of water. I had the RO/DI system going constantly of for those two days (great system Marc!!!) which transferred into a 50 gallon tank, siphon the RO/DI water to a 20 gallon brute trash can on a dolly, wheeled it in the office, put 7 cups of Salinity salt in and let is mix for awhile. After the water became clear, I pumped it in the tank till it overflowed to the sump. I know I could have devised a much more efficient way of doing things, but it's done.... that's the most important part!

- With some help from my wife, we spent a few hours arranging the rock. I'm not completely sold on the design, but I have some time before I start adding things. As stated in a previous post, I ended up ordering about 150 lbs of dry rock from reef cleaners and I was very impressed with what they sent. Each box weighed in at 53 pounds and contained very little rubble. I requested rocks that were in the medium to large range and that is exactly what I got. Highly suggested company, if you are interested in dry rock. Plus John (the owner) sent me a coupon for 10% off my next clean up crew when the tank is ready. I have ordered from them before and he always includes more that what you ask for. Now the long wait for the rock to cure and become live.... [smilie=dull.gif]
[attachment=2]New Rock Scape.jpg[/attachment]

- I placed about 30-40 lbs of live rock that I got from Lance in the refugium area, along with some caulerpa algae. All of that is sitting on top of 10 lbs of sand and 5 lbs of miracle mud mixed in with the sand. I'm playing with what kind of light I am going to use for the refugium. What I am considering is to rob the reef breeders Photon 16 light I have over my nano and use it as a refugium/frag tank light. The refugium in the sump is separated into two sections. I am thinking about using the front section (where the bubble tower is located, as a frag tank and the back section as the refugium. The light will be plenty big for both, but I'm not sure if a reverse light plan would work. Gonna have to think through that one for a bit.....
[attachment=1]Refugium.jpg[/attachment]

Right now I have moved the drain lines to a couple of filter socks to grab all of the dust from the rock and sand. It has done a pretty good job, as it cleared by the next morning. My next project is to figure out a way to organize and contain all of the electronics. I'm thinking of a small cabinet similar to the size of a medicine cabinet, drill in a hole at the bottom for cords, and attaching the electronics to some sort of false wall. Field trip to IKEA tomorrow! We'll see what I come back with.

@Laser wrote:
Are you planning to hook up the chiller to your system? If so you need to get it incorporated into the drains... Stand looks great. I always wanted to do that and clean it up!! [smilie=clapping.gif] said:
Hi Lance!

I just saw your post after I submitted the update. You can see in the top photo that I have the chiller dumping in the return section. I think you had a water change outlet there, if I remember right. I think it will work... any input is always welcome!

@booker1978 wrote:
[I]@Laser wrote:[/I][quote=" Are you planning to hook up the chiller to your system? If so you need to get it incorporated into the drains... Stand looks great. I always wanted to do that and clean it up!! [smilie=clapping.gif] said:
Hi Lance!

I just saw your post after I submitted the update. You can see in the top photo that I have the chiller dumping in the return section. I think you had a water change outlet there, if I remember right. I think it will work... any input is always welcome!"]
Absolutely that will work. Just make sure to use the return pump to 1-return to both sides of tank,2- tee of with valve to be able to control volume going into chiller and 3- tee off to manifold with at least 2 valves for carbon and phosban( I always used 1 for both of these and plumbed the reactors together), and the other for bioballs or future something...Just makes it easier in the long run [smilie=whew.gif]

@Laser wrote:
Absolutely that will work. Just make sure to use the return pump to 1-return to both sides of tank said:
Yep... that is in the plan. I am actually thinking of adding a second internal pump that will just run the manifold that will be used for biopellets, carbon and a calcium reactor. I want to try to avoid having to turn off the reactors when and if I need to do some servicing on the main return pump. Maybe a little overkill, though. I won't need those for a while, but just thinking ahead.

Wow have you come a long way in a short time! Love the way you roll.
Tank is really looking great. I really like the idea of keeping the rock a little low (bottom third) to allow the SPS plenty of flow and room to stretch out..This will also allow you to have more wrasse and such type jumpers. I have found that the fish only jump where the rock work is high near the top. When rescaped on old tank fish quit jumping out...

Remember on aquascaping that ultimately the rock will not even be seen when the corals grow out so provide plenty of caves and such for the fish to hide. You are providing your platform for the coral growth that you want to see in the tank over time. Some of the best tanks I have seen have had little rock work and covered in SPS. Think of the flow around the rockwork without coral and as the tank grows out with corals as the flow will change..

@Laser wrote:
Remember on aquascaping that ultimately the rock will not even be seen when the corals grow out so provide plenty of caves and such for the fish to hide. You are providing your platform for the coral growth that you want to see in the tank over time. Some of the best tanks I have seen have had little rock work and covered in SPS. Think of the flow around the rockwork without coral and as the tank grows out with corals as the flow will change.. said:
Good point... When we were putting the rock work together we tried to keep these things in mind:
1) Lots of space in and around the rock for proper flow
2) An overall low topography while still maintaining shape interest
3) Create as much 'real estate' for frags

Sounds like we are on the right track with your suggestions. Yeah!

So I was successful in my hunt for an electronic cabinet today at IKEA. I had an idea in my mind what I want to do, but the space I have to put it is kind of thin.... less than 20" in width. I found a great black front cabinet that fits perfectly. The plan is to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet for all cabling to be able to go through. On the inside, I'm going to create a false back made out of plywood and attach it to the inside of the cabinet with some sort of hinge on one side. Behind the false back will contain the excess wires out of sight, while the control units will be on the front... easy accessibility. The cabinet is 39" tall, so I will have some extra room to store test kits or whatever else. I was able to install the cabinet tonight and plan to work on the wiring throughout the week.
[attachment=1]Electronic Cabinet Closed.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Electronic Cabinet Open.jpg[/attachment]

I finally got around to wiring everything that I currently have in place. I screwed in a piece of 1x2 into the inside of the cabinet to act as a spacer. I attached a small piano hinge to the spacer and cut a 10" piece of wood to act as the mounting board for all of the electronics. I drilled a couple of 1 1/4" holes with a hole saw to allow for the cords to pass through, another hole at the bottom of the cabinet, and Voila.... an electronic cabinet. I even had a little space left at the top of the cabinet for storage... although I think I will be adding another EB8 and will need that space for it. I also mounted the Apex display on the outside of the cabinet. I think I am going to cut a hole in the top of the cabinet and attach a computer fan to the top for ventilation. I figured that would help pull out any heat that is in the cabinet. Always good to have another reason to go shop at Fry's electronics for some more goodies!
[attachment=1]Electronic Cabinet.jpg[/attachment]
I sent off my second MP40 to Ecotech to have the cord attaching the motor to the controller lengthened another 6-8 feet. I need the added length so that it can reach the cabinet. I haven't heard anything back from them yet, but am expecting something in the next week or so.

When I was setting up my Apex, I ran into an issue with fusion. I could update the unit via fusion and the program would go through to the unit, but the change would never be reflected in fusion when I refreshed. I called Neptune and setup a phone session and they were able to diagnose it quickly. It turns out that when I was linking the Apex Unit to fusion, it did not completely go through the process. A quick re-link was all that was needed and I was in business! The technicians at Neptune are great!

I was at Lowes today and picked up a Par38 5000K LED floodlight and socket for the refugium. I bought a 10' extension cord and cut off the outlet side, wired up the bare wires to the socket and plugged it in. Once everything was working, I screwed in a support beam to the stand and then attached the light fixture.
[attachment=0]Refugium Light.jpg[/attachment]
Lights.... that is my next step. I keep going back and forward between Halides and LED's. If I were to go with LED's... I have been eyeing the Radion Pros. Them are sexy! I know that I want a SPS heavy tank, but like the options of having other corals, too that will fry under strong MHs. I went to one of my favorite LFS (Fish2morrow) today to look around and talk shop about lights. They have a main display full of SPS that blows my mind!!!! We talked about a few different setups and all of the options I have. Man... there are a lot of options! Off to more internet reading to confuse me even more! [smilie=thinking.gif]

After a month or so of trying to figure out what I am going to do with lighting, I finally decided and put in my order for AI hydra 52s. I should get them sometime next week. While I was at it, I bought a AWM module for the apex and an Eheim pump to use to supply flow for the manifold I'm building. I am excited!!

With all of the focus on this new tank, I took down our first tank we bought last summer... the IM Nuvo 16. I cleaned it out and sanitized it to be used as the quarantine tank for the 210. I have yet to set it up, but should not be hard once I get the time.
[attachment=2]Nuvo 16.jpg[/attachment]
Since my last post, I've added a ATO and pulled out the Par38 LED light and replaced it with a reef breeder photon 16 light that I had on the nuvo 16. It's a big enough light to operate as my refugium light and the frag section in my sump. Fits perfectly!
[attachment=0]New Refugium Frag Light.jpg[/attachment]
I also got back the MP40 from Ecotech. I sent it off to them about a month back to extend the power cable about another 6 feet as it would not reach the left side of the tank. When they first sent it back to me the first time, It would only blink red/green. I contacted them and they immediately sent me a return label to ship it back to them. A week later I had it. Good costumer service and a positive experience, overall. I think I am gong to have to change out the bearings in the other MP40, as it is LOUD. My guess is that the bearings are just worn. Hopefully that will alleviate the issue.

I also have big news.... I finally have life in the tank! Because I tore down the 16 gallon, I had to find a place for some frags of the coral that I had, a clean-up crew and our 2 clownfish. We have been monitoring our parameters closely, and all was well. They have been loving there new swimming space and have adapted nicely for the past 2 weeks. I haven't placed any of the frags in the display tank yet. My plan is to accumulate more and place them in the frag section of the sump. The frags I already had are doing great... time to go shopping for more coral. I was bummed that I couldn't be at the frag swap this past week. I already had another work related engagement that day. Looking forward to next time, though!
[attachment=1]Frags.jpg[/attachment]

Great work on the tank. My experience with the frag section of the sump was that you will want to add a very small powerhead for flow especially since you are putting your frags in there. When built I designed that section for a cryptic zone with very low flow hence the overflow section from tank and overflow to next section ( your refugium) are on the same side. I sent you a pm for your coral pickup when you can make it.

I did notice that even with the drain line dumping into what I have as the frag section, there is not much flow. I have a mp10 that I had on the nano and thought about putting it in the frag section. With your suggestion, Lance, I think that idea will work. I'll dial it low for now, so it doesn't blow everything out of the water. It will also be nice to be able to control the flow depending on what is in there.

I currently have both of the drain lines opened fully, but am thinking that I should dial back the drain that dumps in the frag section to limit all of the bubbles that it is creating. It wasn't a huge deal before I put the frags in, as it didn't affect anything, but now it has my attention. Plus, the frogspawn is really not liking it right now. I'll keep tinkering with it till the right balance is found. Woo hoo!