Blue tort frags

[I have been looking for this for a while and I know serveal others have been too. ORA has some but not avail yet. I talked to fredrico at aquarium solutions and he called and got on the waiting list from ORA. They will be in sometime in january. He ordered 5, I have dibs on one and so does he. If you are wanting one you might want to give him a call and get on the list..]

[Mitch, I'd like to get on that list as well. Whom do I contact? Do you have an email address?]

[I think the guy posted on here once but duane closed the thread due to the new vendor guidelines.

I have the # @ work, I will post it monday.]

[Yes I plan to buy at least one also, I am going to give them a call today. I have been looking on the internet but have not bought due to shipping costs.]

[There was two frags of this coral at Aquatic Design in Plano in December, I picked up one of them. They both were in bad shape, anyone that knows the tank they were in would know why. The only reason I thought that it was a tort. is because I got my first one in the same condition at the same place. I always keep my eyes open for those little ORA frags that come around once in awhile.]

[Isn't this the coral that Eric B. said was NOT rare or particularly hard to keep and he did not understand why it would be expensive or hard to get. I know a lot of people are looking for it. If it's not hard to get you would think the divers would be taking advantage of the current demand. If it is a very slow grower you could understand why the farms would not want to invest the extra time but you would think there would be lots of wild on the market.

The other possibility is that high demand (and slow growth) has MADE this a rare find now and Eric was speaking from past experience.]

[I have heard several people say they are no that rare. They may not be but they are very hard to find. It also seems 90% of the ones I have seen are frags. If frags sell for 50$ how much must a colony cost?]

[Maybe there are no colonies, and everyone is fragging them at a high price to assure the buyer really cares. And if they are really hard to come by, they would be rare.

I've seen some amazing Blue Tortuosas, and that link above wasn't one of the amazing pieces.]

@terry wrote:
[Isn't this the coral that Eric B. said was NOT rare or particularly hard to keep and he did not understand why it would be expensive or hard to get.] said:
[I talked to him about this coral and you are correct about him saying it was not a rare coral. He was surprised when I told him they were hard to find and how expensive the frags are. He did not say to me that they were easy to keep. Just that they were as common as any sps coral, on the reefs where they are found. And it maybe the divers that just are not choosing that coral to bring up, for whatever reason.]

[Those divers need to open thier eyes :shocked: :shocked: We are tired of green,orange, and brown corals :laugh long:]

[Maybe blue is invisible in the deeper sections? :wwww:]

[Actually, everything is blue in the deeper sections...you lose color according to the color spectrum as you go deeper. So red goes first, followed by orange, yellow, etc.

Unless you have your own light source, everything is blue by 30 feet.]

[I was in Aquatic Design yesterday and the owner told me they were supposed to be getting some ora torts in next week. he said the price on them is 40$.]

[I am not sure he knows what they look like. Maybe? But I was in there yesterday and there is still a little frag on a plug, it looks like crap, they do not the lighting. It is about half gone from being broken it looks brown, is not going to be long before its totally gone. But its a tortuosa, I bought the matching frag of it a few weeks ago and was not sure of it. But I am now it is looking more and more like the one I already had. I bet they would sell it for $10 to get it out of there. And they are tough corals, someone gets it under good light and water conditions and you will have a beautifull coral.]

[I was in the Fish Gallery today and they had a bunch of ORA stuff including a couple of Blue Torts. They were $45 per frag. I picked up one of the $16 acro frags just to see how it does in my tank. If it does well then I will pick up a piece of the more expensive stuff.]