Bio Pellets Stops tumbling ?

monisa

Premium Member
I have my Bio-Pellets in a dual BRS reactor, One side only, slightly less than half full.

I used the "Plastic Mesh" from Hobby Lobby and cut it out and placed it in the inside container. Top and Bottom.

It runs good for around a week or so and then stops tumbling.

Anyone has the same issue on can advise why this maybe occurring.

Using a MaxiJet 1200.

I have to remove the reactor bottles, clean it out and it all starts tumbling again, very frustrating.

Ideas, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

I never had much luck with them in a BRS reactor; what normally happened for me is the output tubing would fill with slime and stop the system. I've had much better luck in an Avast reactor, fed with a tunze silence pump. A lot of people have reported good results with the Vertex and Octopus biopellet reactors, also.

@ChuckLawson wrote:
I never had much luck with them in a BRS reactor; what normally happened for me is the output tubing would fill with slime and stop the system. I've had much better luck in an Avast reactor said:
The slime builds up a lot in the reactor itself and then stalls the tumbling, I do notice the slime.

When cleaning, gosh, the smell that is emitted, makes you want to throw up.

I am convinced that this "slime" is what is causing it, gosh. [smilie=worried.gif]

@monisa wrote:
[I]@ChuckLawson wrote:[/I][quote="I never had much luck with them in a BRS reactor; what normally happened for me is the output tubing would fill with slime and stop the system. I've had much better luck in an Avast reactor said:
The slime builds up a lot in the reactor itself and then stalls the tumbling, I do notice the slime.

When cleaning, gosh, the smell that is emitted, makes you want to throw up.

I am convinced that this "slime" is what is causing it, gosh. [smilie=worried.gif]"]

The slime is what we're after -- but it needs to get out of the reactor, and into the skimmer. I like the BRS reactors for GAC and carbon, but I don't think they're cut out for biopellets...

When it stops tumbling, just keep an eye on it for another day or two. If it doesn't resume after that, you need to fix the issue. It can clump up for about 48 hours, but then resumes tumbling again from that point forward.

Perhaps you are having a power outage in your area that gives it time to clump up?

@Marc wrote:
When it stops tumbling said:
No power outage, in fact I have a rubber Mallet next to it, I gently tap on the outside of the bottle to get it going again, [smilie=lol.gif] , it goes for all but a minute and stops. [smilie=angry.gif]

It never clumps and then starts to tumble, stays clumped.

Once I clean the whole thing out and restart the process, it goes for around a week and then I am back to clumps. It just never reaches the 4-8Week period. [smilie=crying.gif] I must say though, Nitrates have definately come down, I was always in the dark orange portion of the Nitrate card, with this I come down at least 10 points, it's a great product, I wish I could just get it to keep tumbling.

My thoughts are that the BRS reactor isn't good enuff for it, I am almost convinced of it as I have being doing this now for 3 months straight, i.e Resetting the whole thing.

Maybe you should get a NextReef reactor instead? That's what I use.

From what I have seen you need to really run a bio pellets in a chamber by itself not a dual chamber shared with another media.

For me I would replace it and get a separate reactor and pump for just biopellets as to change it out every couple days to me would be veery annoying. Start out real slow prob half dosage and slowly increase it over time also you want to keep your dkh on the lower side of normal I shoot for 9 dkh as any higher I was getting burnt tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc wrote:
Maybe you should get a NextReef reactor instead? That's what I use.[/quot

Marc, what have you substituted for the foam pads that come with this reactor, for the use of BioPellets?
I don't see them included in the box when purchasing?

The Avast Reactor that ChuckLawson mentions seems like a well built reactor too, this one comes with a pair of "Mesh Disks", therefore the question above.

The NextReef reactor comes with perforated disks, not sponge pads.

nextreef_reactor-4.jpg
alt="">

nextreef_reactor-8.jpg
alt="">

I went to hobbyLobby and purchased a sheet of that plastic stuff and made my own. Works great! At first I thought I could use the circulater sponges that came with the reactor but those clogged up too fast. Once I replaced them -- it works well.

I use an MR1 from NextReef for mine. The tumbling is terrific -- but I do use a pretty good size pump. (Cant remember which one at the moment and since it is sitting in the sump, I cant easily get to it.

I was told you want about 500gph flowing through the pellets.

@Marc wrote:
I was told you want about 500gph flowing through the pellets. said:
The reactor looks like it has "sponge pads" inside, but thanks for the detail pics, "tells a thousand words".

So according to Marine Depot, the reactor comes with a rather small pump, you suggesting to upgrade it to a Mag5 or somewhere in that range.

I want to make sure this is correct before purchasing so that my pellets would be "Tumbling".

Marine Depot:

Kit Includes:
MR1 Media Reactor
132 GPH Pump with Adjustable Flow
4 Feet of 1/2 inch ID Tubing

@monisa wrote:
[I]@Marc wrote:[/I][quote="I was told you want about 500gph flowing through the pellets. said:
The reactor looks like it has "sponge pads" inside, but thanks for the detail pics, "tells a thousand words".

So according to Marine Depot, the reactor comes with a rather small pump, you suggesting to upgrade it to a Mag5 or somewhere in that range.

I want to make sure this is correct before purchasing so that my pellets would be "Tumbling".

Marine Depot:

Kit Includes:
MR1 Media Reactor
132 GPH Pump with Adjustable Flow
4 Feet of 1/2 inch ID Tubing

____________________________________"]

Mag5 is rated at 500gph at 0 feet of head - it will be less than that plumbed through a reactor...

I've had the same problem with mine. I've been rather busy the past few weeks with no time for the Reef tank !! Come to find a huge clump at top of the reactor. Guess I'll just clean it out and unclump media and re-set it. I agree these reactors coupled with the mj1200 are not the best choice. Octopus reactors look to be the best.

[attachment=0]avastmarine_reactor_mr5_lg.jpg[/attachment]Well, i took the advise posted here and went with avast Marine reactor, because it uses a smaller foot print pump(maxi jet 1200) which is all i could fit in my sump.

Over a week now and no sticky Biopellets, all tumbling.

This reactor is really built well and would rate it A+++.

BRS dual is a no no for BioPellets, stay away from Biopellets with this reactor, stick with carbon and gfo for the BRS dual reactor.

I will update this thread in a week or two to let you know if everything is "Still Tumbling".

Best part is that it costs around $85 shipped, it holds 5 cups of bio-pellets, I am using 3 cups.

Here's a pic of it, will post a pic of my own soon.

I am having to ditch my Jumbo BRS Biopellet Reactor as well. Just doesn't tumble at all. BRS has ignored my emails to them about this, figure they are sick of hearing it from people... Doubt they will refund me at this point too.

Ordering an Avast today. Likely the 10"x18" model.

For anyone experiencing these issues with the BRS reactor make sure to leave feedback on their site... there wasn't any negative comments back when I bought mine.

@Spar wrote:
For anyone experiencing these issues with the BRS reactor make sure to leave feedback on their site... there wasn't any negative comments back when I bought mine. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
I watched their video the other day and they said something about not using the dual for pellets but to use two singles instead. Not negative feedback anyone can see but I think they are aware of the problem!

And for those who are thinking it, I have no life so I watch BRS videos for entertainment. [smilie=dull.gif]