Big difference in gadget prices, why?

BlennyLover

Membership Expired
These 2 don't even come close in price ... seem to perform the same actions. Is there THAT MUCH of a difference in quality?

Does anyone have either? ...

(thin glass) Mag-Flip Aquarium Algae Cleaner -- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19866

CoralVue Flipper Cleaner -- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25977

Are the blades any better on either than the flimsy blades that come with the wands?

I don't know about the Mag-Flip but I do own the CoralVue Flipper. It has a very strong magnet and does a good job on my tank. It's fairly low profile so it gets next to the rock on the sides of my tank pretty well.

I have the flipper as well, but I thought it was only $20 when I got it. The mag flip only has a plastic blade I beleive, definately not as useful as the metal one.

I have both, got the flipper at macna 2013 cheaper than what is listed but well worth the money. It's lighter then the mag-flip and easier to "flip" so to speak. Overall works better.

~Matt

It looks to me like the main difference is the blade. CoralVue comes with a plastic and a stainless steel. The Mag says it has blades for different types of aquariums but only shows plastic. The only type of rare earth magnet that I know of is neodymium so that's the same but who knows if one or the other has a better design. All I know is I have several sizes of regular mag floats and I'm pretty disappointed with all of them. All I know is, in my experience, with the items Drs. Foster and Smith sell, price tends to be reasonable, and usually when they sell two similar items you get what you pay for. I'd spend the extra $20 on the one with the steel blade which is also the one everyone seems to have only good things to say about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the mag flip when they had their introductory pricing of $20 a few years back. I only used it a few times and really didn't like it. I could clean the glass quicker with a small razor blade than with the mag flip. It just wouldn't remove much for me for some reason. They had great customer service and sent me new blades without me even contacting them but it didn't help. Maybe I just got a bad overall unit. Best scrapper I ever had was the one that you glued to a mag-float. That thing would clean anything off my glass with one pass.

The mag flip is rated for 3/8" glass and the flipper is rated for 1/2" glass. So the magnet is stronger on the flipper. I just use a razer blade. Its much easier to use IMO.

@mwilk19 wrote:
I don't know about the Mag-Flip but I do own the CoralVue Flipper. It has a very strong magnet and does a good job on my tank. It's fairly low profile so it gets next to the rock on the sides of my tank pretty well. said:
Strong mag is a plus as I am tired of picking up sand and removing the mag float to clean it off. Low profile is a huge plus.

@Wes wrote:
I have the flipper as well said:
I just read that it is indeed a plastic blade for glass. That would be pretty costly on replacing the blades all the time. NICE results ... thank you for the visual!

@reeferwanabe wrote:
I have both said:
No better review than having used both, thank you!

@Tabi1720 wrote:
... with the items Drs. Foster and Smith sell said:
With products I've purchased ... agree! Just wasn't sure the cheaper one was actually plastic. Even for the smaller tank, that is no good.

@Opus wrote:
I bought the mag flip when they had their introductory pricing of $20 a few years back. I only used it a few times and really didn't like it. I could clean the glass quicker with a small razor blade than with the mag flip. It just wouldn't remove much for me for some reason. ... said:
This makes my decision easy ... thanks!

@mtraylor wrote:
The mag flip is rated for 3/8" glass and the flipper is rated for 1/2" glass. So the magnet is stronger on the flipper. I just use a razer blade. Its much easier to use IMO. said:
That is what I have been doing on the tuff-stuff -- but my hand is too big for most places ... the wand is awkward and doesn't really clean without a LOT of effort.

Thanks everyone ... CoralVue Flipper it is! [smilie=wink.gif]

If you want a mag flip I have one with a couple extra blades. Trade for random coral or $10

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

The FLIPPER is amazing! ... I've had this white film that I could never scrub or scrape off ... something from the snails and the glass was really cloudy the closer to the sand ... Whoohoo ... it's gone! My glass is crystal clear! WOW!

Never tried the mag-flip but I do love my flipper. Love that it can clean above the water line and into the sand. Just be careful with the sand. Might lead to scratches if not careful.

I have the coral vue flipper, works fine on my 1/2" glass . Does not do daily cleaning as fast as a mag float but does good on harder stuff. I did not buy, it came with my last tank.

Late in the game, but to answer the original posters question...

This is the story I heard to the best of my recollection.... The flipper guys came up with the flip concept, patented it, and licensed it to Mag. They were not happy with what mag came out with. When the licensing agreement expired, they choose not to allow Mag to renew the license (or maybe mag did... not sure). The 1st generation mag flips then went on clearance everywhere. That is when Flipper released the flipper on their own, with no compromises in design. After going it alone for about a year, they realized they had a hard time getting retailers to carry it. At that point they went in to a distribution agreement with Coralvue. At some point, I assume Mag reintroduced the mag-flip (unless this is still just old stock out there). I suspect the 2 companies came to an agreement on some form of non-exclusive licensing. Bottom line is, the Flipper theoretically has less cost saving compromises in design (you get what you pay for).

Full disclosure: I have 2 Flippers that I purchased at MACNA 2012, still working great with the original blades.