Bicolor blenny acting as a cleaner?

AngEngland

Premium Member
Has anyone ever seen a bi-color blenny act as a cleaner fish? My daughter said last night the yellow tang presented himself sideways by the rocks where the blenny likes to live and the blenny swam out and "nibbled at his fins" and then they both swam away. I didn't see it but it sounded like cleaning behavior. I hadn't observed any odd behavior before or after this incident and I don't think she's making it up. Have you ever see this in a blenny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen it in any of my blennies or heard it from others. May have been a strike to protect its territory. Would be curious to hear if it happens again.

@Mike R wrote:
I've never seen it in any of my blennies or heard it from others. May have been a strike to protect its territory. Would be curious to hear if it happens again. said:
That's what I wondered except she said the tang didn't swim away fast like they would if they were fussing over food or what have you. Like I said I didn't observe it though. I hadn't heard of blennies acting as cleaners so figured I would ask.

I will be watching for it. I added my filefish today so everything is off routine but I'll watch more tomorrow.

On another forum someone mentioned that they had witnessed similar behavior from their juvenile bicolor blenny twice. As he matured they never saw it again. Just wanted to update with the information that this had been witnessed not just in our tank. Our bicolor seems to be very outgoing in nature anyway so this isn't terribly surprising to me. Interesting to learn that others had experienced the same behavior. Cool!