Best way to "make" sand bed? - Wanted to hear different ways...

[Wanted to hear how people have made thier sand beds to give me an idea of what to do and then decide how I want to do it. Also couple questions on this topic...

What does everyone think about using generic sand from Lowes or Home Depot for a sand bed and buying some oolite or some "real" sand from LFS to finish it out? (and getting a couple cups of live sand from an established tank to "infect" it all).

Someone mentioned to me about doing this and I thought to myself, why not? What keeps someone from buying a 100 pound bag of sand from home depot instead of paying $1 a pound from a LFS? Whats the real difference?

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts and then will make up my mind as to what to do. Thanks.

Dan]

[For the most part there are two things wrong with this idea(getting play sand from Lowes or Home Depot).

1st
Most of the sand sold there is not Argonite/Coral based with the exception of New Castle and Southdown being the only two exceptions that I am aware of. This means they have lots of Silica and other things you really dont want in your tank, as they are outstanding for algae growth!!!

2nd
Becuase its not coral or Argonite based it offers no buffering or calcium leeching abilities to your tank

This is why unless you can get South Down or New Castel you generally suck it up and buy sand at premium prices. Usually this is only available on special order by the pallet or you have to go to the New England/East Coast to get it. The last paalet of this we had shipped to my area was pre-paid and cost about $470.00 a pallet. If you need a lot of sand, have extra money and storage, you can get a pallet of this use what you need and sell the rest for 10.00 or so a bag and off load the extra sand pretty quick as its very much in demand.]

Edited By Imaexpat2 on 1089066843

[Where do I go and/or who do I talk to in order to buy a pallet of this wonderful stuff?

Thanks.

Also, if/when I do get this, anybody else want to take part in the buy?]

[I disagree. Your plan is perfectly sound. Silica based sand works fine. It is not ideal but many many people have used it successfully. I think Marc has Silica in his 55G and it is great!

For your argonite based sand to leech calcium the Ph has to be way low (around 7.2 I think I read) If your reef gets that low you have other issues!

The reason people go nuts over Southdown is the particle size is near perfect according to what many of the "experts" suggest. It is very near many of the very good "premium products" at the local fish store. The biggest thing with sand is the surface area and the particle size. If you can find an appropriate "play sand" it will work. Most of them have a grain size that is to large.

Look in the group buys forum. We are doing a group buy of Southdown right now!!]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1089074338

[If you really want to do a DSB and fully understand the benefits vs drawbacks then you plan is fine and I seriously doubt that you will notice the difference between silica sand and southdown. Silica sand can be found locally for cheap $.]

[Well I found what I guess is "silica" sand at Home Depot for like $3 for 50 pounds and I found the group buy thing and asked for 5 bags but nobody knows how much its going to be still and/or if it will even happen. It seems if we can find a way to get 1..2..3.. or more pallets, i'm sure we can find plenty of buyers for it. I would even be willing to be the "buyer" for it and store it in my garage if the shipping cost does not kill the benefit for buying it if someone can point me to the right place to place the order.

I mean, if I can get southdown for a couple bucks more than silica sand, why not?

Well, my first tank (all of 58 gallons) might be the "experiment tank" for me as I have just bought today a mess of Texas holey rock. If I put silica sand in the tank then it will truly be an experiment in the cheap way for a salt water tank.

What the heck?

Brings up another question, can anything kill a live rock? I mean besides on purpose. Like, if I put in silica sand, holey rock, etc, can the live rock I put in the tank completely die off?

Thanks.]

[I bought my "beach sand" from Keller Farms in N. Richland Hills. It was $10 per 5g bucket, and each bucket was filled about 2/3's full. It took four buckets to fill my 55g with a 4" DSB.

It's been like that for 1.5 years now.]

[Elliot hardware selling 80lb bag of white silica sand for around $7-$8, for 58g tank you prolly need 3 bags to achieve 4" DSB.]

[See dan ...what did I tell you :). Silica and silicates are 2 diff animals and I doubt silica sand will leech silacates into your water unless you keep it around a few thousand years.

BTW I also recommend you read this article By a marine Biologist that specializes in marine sand beds...........

http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

Im sure hes got it right

Andy]

Edited By Maldivan on 1089412977

@Marc wrote:
[I bought my "beach sand" from Keller Farms in N. Richland Hills. It was $10 per 5g bucket said:
[I've gotten quite a few things from them over there at Keller Farms. It's something I'd recommend checking out.]

[Ya - you just gotta get past the stench when you walk through the door,rotten floor boards , and nasty tanks. Other than that the place rules :)

Andy]

[Just started setting up my tank and went with white silica sand, about 3 1/2 inches worth but will probably get up to 3 3/4 after putting some live sand in. Have 1/2 filled with water as I'm waiting for my salinity meter and a mag 5 that will be run when i'm in the room to keep things mixed up. Will put holey rock in soon and more water.

Thanks for everyones comments.]