BEST WAY TO ACCLIMATE CLEANER SHRIMP

Marc, I recently purchased another cleaner shrimp and I acclimated it the same way I do other shrimp...

Turn the lights off on the tank and float the bag that he's in for 15 minutes. Open the bag and add 1/2 cup of water every 4 minutes, three times, or until the water in the bag has doubled in volume. Take out 1/2 the volume of water and discard it. Repeat the 1/2 cup of tank water x 3 times again.

Then either use a net or your hand and gently scoop him out and set him down near your rockwork. Discard the water in the bag.

Works for me.

thats what i do as well...some "sensitive" fish/inverts ill do a drip line, but that should do just fine. Ive never lost anything doing it the way described.

Marc,

I've always drip acclimated my inverts and fish...corals I've really just temperature acclimated by floating the bag and then added them directly into the tank. I've not lost any animals due to acclimation. I usually go a little longer on the drip for shrimp and starfish, etc. than for fish (2-3 hrs) vs. (1-1.5 hrs).

These have been my experiences. Obviously, there is more than one way to do anything and many people have great luck with the "float the bag and add water" method. I just feel the drip gives me more control to do it slower and exactly add a little water at a time.

Regarding your shrimp losses...I don't know that anyone could say for sure what caused it. However, if the acclimation was slow enough even shrimp should be able to adapt to completely different water parameters.

Matt

from now on, on any invert i buy it will be the drip method, i just think thats the easiest way, i also just ordered a new refractometer so i can for sure know the salinity,i think that will help too