Best ATO?

JeffJ

Premium Member
Hey Guys -I've had the same homebuilt auto-top off for about 10 years now and it sounds like the sensor switch is beginning to fail.  I've removed it from the system and am adding water by hand. Wondering if you could weigh in on the best ATO available today and why?  I have a 58gal Reef with a 5 gal reservoir.  Thanks!Jeff 

Posted by: JeffJ Hey Guys -I've had the same homebuilt auto-top off for about 10 years now and it sounds like the sensor switch is beginning to fail.  I've removed it from the system and am adding water by hand. Wondering if you could weigh in on the best ATO available today and why?  I have a 58gal Reef with a 5 gal reservoir.  Thanks!Jeff  said:
I know people who have been happy with both the JBJ and Tunze ones, although I haven't used them recently myself.I have used the AutoAqua Smart ATO.  The old version I've used can occasionally detect a drop in water level and get unhappy resulting in a beeping noise until it stops.  I'm not sure if the new version does this as I haven't used it yet.  I will say it's very easy to set up.I'm not personally a fan of the RO line on a float valve straight in to the sump.  It works, but seems risky to me.I would avoid the BlueLine Tsunami ATO.  I used to really love these until I saw one with an air leak that tried to flood a tank.  It could be a decent option if you have a backup, or a small ATO reservoir.  The upside is that it has no floats to get stuck or optical portions to get cloudy (not normally a big deal). Several good options, lately I've been happy with the Smart ATO.  As of yet I have no experience with the Neptune one.

I use the Smart ATO on all my tanks and love them. Just clean the sensor 2 or 3 times a year. I used to get the beeping when I did maintenance/water changes. I just added it to shut off with my APEX feed mode D for maintenance and good to go. My 2 cents :)

I'm a firm believer in the Tunze ATO.    Great quality just like their other products.  I just replaced a 12 year old ATO with a new one.  Not because it was broke but because I had to replace the water pump and the new pumps require more electricity than my old unit produced.   It would still work but the water flow was greatly reduced.   Thinking of just putting the old one on my freshwater tank since it is no big deal about keeping the water level stable.   I will say the Tunze is very accurate.  When I take a cup full of water out to thaw my food it will start refilling.  I also never have to clean the sensor but I'm probably just lucky there.This is a good weekend to purchase.  A lot of places are running 10 to 15% off sitewide sales for Fathers day.   I got lucky on my Tunze.   They are usually $199 everywhere.  Ebay had a 20% off sale a couple of weeks ago for 1 day.  I found a online store that used ebay and after the 20% it was only $142 with free shipping.  I had never seen it that cheap, even on Black Friday.