Best 20k bulb?

MarcoG

Membership Expired
I was wondering what the best 20k 400watt SE bulb is in terms of color and par. I'm thinking of going with Radiums, but I wanted to find out from the experts. [smilie=smile.gif]

Radiums are the way to go. If you google Sanjay and aquamaxx 14k he did a review and only 400 watt aquamaxx are similar in par and spectrum as radium 20 k .

Just switched from 20k reeflux to radiums. They are the 150 watt de which burn white in comparison to the se, but still some similarities. Waiting for them to settle in a bit - like what I see so far.
0d4460e8.jpg
alt="">

I used to run Radium until they started having some quality control issues. Switched to Ushio 20K and am happy with them. Nice blue color. Also XM 20K bulbs are great! When ran side by side with radium, your eyes can't tell the diff. All three mentioned are great bulbs and put out great par. You really can't go wrong, but if your Radium shifts to pink within a week or two you'll know about the quality control issues i speak of.

Looks like I ran into a problem.

Copied from my other thread:
I tried my new Radium 400watt 20K SE bulb today and it didn't light up at all. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and nothing happened. I put my current bulb (XM 10K) in and it fires right up.

I'm running a dual 400 watt PFO ballast.
Well it came on after about 30 mins. Then I tried it again over night and it never came on.

Is your ballast an hqi ballast? Might see if someone with a different 400 watt setup might try the bulb

@kuyatwo wrote:
Is your ballast an hqi ballast? Might see if someone with a different 400 watt setup might try the bulb said:
I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll check when I get home today.

I looked on the ballast and there's nothing that identifies it as an hqi. It looks just like this one:
http://www.marinedepot.com/PFO_400_Watt_Dual_HQI_Metal_Halide_Ballast_Assembled_400_Watt_Magnetic_Metal_Halide_Ballasts-PFO_Lighting-PF1832-FILTACBAMHFHMBFA-vi.html

I went ahead and returned the bulb and I'm wondering if there's somewhere local to get aquamaxx 14K bulbs. I read Sanjay's article and they seem to be identical.

might call midcities, fraks tanks or just order from marine depot

just curious said:
Yes and it's a great bulb.

Yep ZERO growth said:
That is the opposite of my experience with the XM 400W 20K. Also, a friend of mine has that bulb over his 60g cube and grows SPS on the bottom of his 24" tank. The bulb has EXCELLENT par, so I don't know what you talking about there.

What reflector and ballast were you using? Did you measure your PAR with a meter?

The 20K XM is a direct competitor with the Radium 20K 400W in color and PAR. You must have had other underlying issues because to say that your SPS will not grow under it when it's a "time" proven bulb is a bold statement.

In no way is this message posted with an attitude, i'm generally interested in your experience with the bulb.

Jason

400 watt 20k xm are good sps bulb on the right ballast can't remember if it is magnetic or electronic

250 watt 20k xm are junk to low of par

I hope this is not in the wrong forum but I have 2 retrofit icecap 175 w 14k hamilton mogul bulbs metal halides spider reflectors on my 75 gal dimensions 48" long 18" wide 18" deep they are 8" above the water. I bought the kit about a year ago. One of the lights comes on for about 3 to 5 mins then goes off for about 3 to 4 mins all day long. I swapped the ballast with the other and it turns out that is the problem is the ballast because now the other light does the blinking. I tried to open it up to see if something was loose or burnt or something. However, it was hard to do anything with it cause the wires are pack in with some sort of tar/rubber material that I could not do anything with. I looked up icecap and to my displeasure they have been bought out went out of business or something. I say that to say this. Since I will need to get another ballast I would like some ideas on what are some good bulbs/ballasts I can get that will have great support and great quality. I was thinking about going to 20k for color. Any suggestions?? I have mostly softies and 2 anemones but am ready for some SPS.

How long have most people got with radium 20K 400's?

On another note i have seen good color our of 14K aquamax x 250's after 18montha running 7+hrs. Some of the same corals look better under the 250 aquamaxs than my 400xm's.

The 14K aquamaxx is mnore like 16 or 18K IMO BTW.