Bangii Baby Making Time!!!!

LSBBA

Premium Member
I just recently posted how I had found a baby bangii in the back of my tank while cleaning. It unfortunately did not make it and passed today. I did some research and figured out that when the male has a protruding jaw, it is holding the young. I got to thinking back about when that was that I saw it last happening and I guess it to be about a month ago. I just saw that tonight his jaw is protruding again.
Now, with that being said what do I do with the male to ensure more offspring? I have seen that some people quarantine the male in a breeder's net, which I have now.
Should I be using live baby brine shrimp? I do believe lance suggested live but when I went to my LFS they only had frozen. Is that okay to use? I have been searching for an LFS that has a baby brine shrimp hatchery setup. Does anyone know of any?

I have purchased live Brine from Dallas North Aquarium and Plano Pets. I have kept them in a half gallon set up with an airstone, and they will stay alive about a week. I know those stores are a little far from Burleson, not sure if there is a LFS closer to you that carries them....

You definitely want to feed newly hatched baby brine shrimp. Once they've been hatched, they will consume their yolk sac within a day and not be as good nutritionally. I have a brine shrimp hatchery and some eggs that I'm not currently using if you can't find anything locally.

On the other hand, people have successfully raised baby banggai's on non-live foods. Survival rates aren't as high, but it has been done. Just have to get the food moving to elicit a feeding response, without blowing around the babies.