B-Ionic Dosage

I'm planning on dosing my tank with B-Ionic, so I took some readings in my tank, and it looks like my alkalinity is around 7-7.5 dKH, while my calcium is right around 400 ppm. I'd like to bring my alkalinity up a little bit. Should I use the alkalinity part of the B-Ionic system by itself to raise the alkalinity by 1 or 2 dKH? Will doing so cause my calcium levels to drop? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMO- You can dose them individually. Split the dose over a few days for an increase over 1dkh.

Do you know what your magnesium levels are? You'll want to make sure that is where it needs to be (generally around 1300) before dosing two-part. Proper magnesium levels help prevent precipitation. For a detailed article on magnesium in the aquarium, you can go here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/10/chemistry

Good idea, Mike. I've been meaning to pick up a magnesium test kit. I'll do that soon. My levels are fine for right now anyway. Thanks!

Well, I picked up an Elos Mg test kit, and my mag level seems to be at 1450. I'm used to hearing that around 1300 is the target. Is mine too high?

I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt, and I love it. Currently I have a full-size hammer coral, a 15-polyp zoa frag, a 2.5" plate coral, a 5-head candycane frag, a montipora setosa frag, and an encrusting monti frag. I'm wondering if I should even start dosing B-Ionic yet. Perhaps my water changes will replenish my levels adequately for now...

Id think water changes are enough since your not out of wack... It is on the low end though. If your uptake outpaces your WC schedule then dose. If it were me id do one or the other... I dose bi-weekly and water change monthly at most.

Test often and take notes so you can understand the uptake - it may take a few months to find a balanced trend. I use the aquaplanner app to keep track of tests and what I dose.

Right on! I do a water change of about 8 gallons every 2 weeks. I'm still wondering if that is too much, given the size of the tank (it's a 40 gallon tank -- 30 gallon display and 10 gallon sump, AIO)... My plan is to test often and take it from there. I just wanted to make sure it would be alright to dose only the alkalinity part if I need to simply bring alkalinity up a bit by itself. I was worried that using only the alkalinity part might drop the calcium or something like that.

It won't effect nutrients too much just watch your dkh when raising pH. It's rare but sometimes pH is low and dkh is on the high end of good. Raising pH also raises dkh so make sure you have water on hand in case either goes too high. If that happens you'll have to do immediate little water changes to slowly bring them back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I started with the recommended beginning dose of 1 mL per 4 gallons of aquarium water, giving me 10 mL of alkalinity solution. My alk had dropped to 6.5, and that brought it up to 7. I dosed today with 15 mL, in an effort to bring it up some more without going over a 1 dKH increase in 24 hours. I'll test again later today. I'd like to get it up to around 9 dKH eventually. Anyway, it's coming along!