Avast Marine Works: Swabbie DIY Kit Review

Sleepingtiger

Premium Member
This all started when i just decided that I should take better care of my reef. One of the things i hate the most is cleaning the skimmer. When i was at my most diligent, i would clean the skimmer maybe twice a week then would go weeks before cleaning it again. So it would barely produce any skimmate. Any skimmate that it produces is thick and nasty. Even though my parameters are good, i felt the skimmer just isn't working at capacity. I have recently added several fish and feed them about 3-5 cubes of PE mysis a day. So something must be done.

I have been wanting to get the Swabbie for awhile now, just could never justify the cost because i was lazy to clean the skimmer myself. Now, fast forward 2 years and 2 babies, i can justify the Swabbie. I ordered the swabbie kit on Thursday and received it on the following Tuesday. It wasn't until the next day was i able to install the Swabbie. The instructions for install is online. The instructions consist of pictures and thats it. It was that simple. However, i think i am little mechanically and electrically inclined, so it might be a little difficult for those who isn't. I didn't call their support, but I have heard good things about it. The packaged also came with a hand written note addressed to me saying thanks. Even thought it isn't a big deal and only takes seconds, but it shows that i am just not just another number. Little things like this makes me want to spend more money there.

After install, I setup the Swabbie on my ReefAngel to run every 4hours for 2 minutes. I would stare at it multiple times a day hoping to see something magical. Nothing special. All is see is the skimmer running. The following day, i did see some skimmate on the neck, and some skimmate in the collection cup. I don't have skimmate reservoir, just the collection cup (its quite big for a collection cup). I was tempted to take it out and readjust the wiper blade, but i held back and wanted to see the unit run a full week before making any adjustments. 2 days later, the wiper definitely needed an adjustment because their was skimmate on one side of the neck of the skimmer. Still, i held back and wanted to run it a few more days. I would say only about 30% of the neck is dirty.

5 days later, the collection cup is almost full. I can barely even see the neck of the skimmer because of all the skimmate in the collection cup. This will be the first time my skimmer has worked this good. I have produced more skimmate in 5 days than what i have in months. Looking at it, you probably think its a waste of money. Give it a few days and you will see results. Give it a few months, and it will be worth every penny. My only regret is why I didn't get this sooner. With the amount of skimmate I am producing, I might have to buy Davey Jones locker. For those who spend $400 on a skimmer, but too lazy to do regular maintenance, spend the $100 and get this.

my fault. its $115.

you are looking at the already built model. go to the diy section

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/youbuilt/Swabbie-Kit

does your lid sit nice and tight ? As in any wobbling of lid while blade scrapes ? I wonder how much pressure is applied using your lid vs their's .

Downside is your resale value of your skimmer should you sell ( which happens often ) and have a hole in the cap, plus that motor assy is glued to the cap.

Darn you for finding another toy to buy.

after i made my readjustment last night, it did wobble and raise the lid about 1mm. i would say that is my fault for over adjustment.

I tend to think that by having a Swabbie installed, the resale value of your skimmer should go up and not down. Also, i didn't glue it to the lid. all I did was screw it on. I wanted an option to remove the swabbie to another unit.

you should thank me for getting u another toy. but this toy adds much value to your system. I wouldn't not call this a "toy" as you really never see it operate. you just know that the end result is pure greatness!

I'm sure the wife would be happy with me not washing out fish poop every 2 days in the kitchen sink. So you drilled holes and screwed the assy to your lid ?

As for resale I'm saying you remove the swabbie before sale and now you got holes in the lid. I may just get their built model as it can be snugged up. And now that I'm looking I see the bubble magus acs150 may fit my skimmer and it's avail pre built for $119 .

Got me a bubble magus acs150 on eBay for $99
So I'll see how it goes. The size is like perfect
For my skimmer

Ok anyone sees aquariumhotdeals on eBay DO NOT BID.
They sent me a acs150 missing the scraper and claimed
I'm a liar and stole it . And plain out refusing to do
Anything and I fear if I return the item will claim
I sent a box of rocks. The tone of his msgs is just
Unreal. So I just disputed the charges with my CC Until
He sends scraper .

well had my swabbie running for about 3 weeks, just took cup off, the inside of neck was clean as could be. Cleaned lid and inside of cup and back into action, the lid was caked with nastyness

I am on my 2nd swabbie (bigger skimmer with the tank upgrade) and LOVE it. When I clean my skimmer cup the inside is always clean but the cup has black sludge in it! I have the avast built one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, here is an update on my swabbie.

i noticed that the neck of my skimmer is dirty. finds out that the motor turns, but the squeegee doesn't. I have send Avast an email, lets hope this gets resolved as easy as purchasing it.

I'd be surprised if they didn't take care of this for you. My interaction with them regarding an issue with their ATO setup was nothing but positive (and the issue turned out to actually be my fault, not a problem with the ATO).