Aquavitro Salinity Users

I ran across an issue with my Mag levels in my tank being at 1230 recently with no real understanding of what could be causing it.

I am in the process of talking with seachem to figure out what is going on and thought I would share the conversation. I also have spoken with another reefer who had alk. issues and I will share his letter from Seachem as well.

Here is my conversation so far :

"I have been struggling to keep my Mag levels stable without dosing like crazy. I have a 40g system that is zoa / Lps with 2 small SPS frags. Today when testing I got a reading of 1230 using a salifert test kit. Still going crazy trying to figure out what was soaking up my magnesium so bad, I decided to test a new batch of water. This water has been mixing for approx. 72 hours at 80* and is at 1.025 . My result of the test shows a Mag level of 1020 !!!! Feeling that it must be an error I tested again .... 1020 !!!!! I am good about stirring my salt before adding it to my new batch of water, so I do not think that it is a settling issue. The lab sticker shows 1376 which is much different than what I am getting. The Lot # for this bucket is : 53384.00 . Have there been any issues out of this batch or has anyone else noticed low Mag levels ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*****************************************************************************************************
Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your question and for using salinity salt. This salt is unlike any other on the market, as we batch it right here in our own facility. We test each individual batch in our lab before placing it into buckets; as long as the parameters fall within our specs, we then send the salt out to an EPA-registered independent laboratory, who tests the parameters using laboratory-grade equipment, rather than hobby grade test kits. Once we receive the results from the lab, we then make the labels for the buckets. Therefore, it should be very unlikely that the magnesium level is actually 1020ppm, though we would certainly be more than happy to try and troubleshoot a little with you.

Firstly, all of the parameters are guaranteed at a salinity of 35ppt or 1.0264. You can actually view the guaranteed analysis from our independent laboratory here for your individual bucket:

http://www.aquavitro.com/retrieve_jpg.php?document_search=53384.00&subby_search=Submit

With each batch, we make the lab results accessible by users on our aquavitro website at this address, so that you can see the guaranteed analysis from lab-grade equipment:

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/salinity.html

Now, the only thing that stands out to me is your mixing procedure. I understand that this salt mixes cloudy due to its concentration, therefore many users want to mix it for an extended time period in order to allow it to clear. However, because salinity is so different from every other salt available, when mixing this salt, we have found that 24 hours or less is ideal. The longer you let the salt mix, the more C02 it will take on and the more precipitation you will encounter. C02 --> water --> carbonic acid --> bicarbonates/carbonates. Mixing the salt for more than 24 hours can cause a decrease in alkalinity, magnesium and pH, resulting in a precipitation of calcium and carbonates, thus making the cloudiness persist for longer. When we mix it here at Seachem, we mix it in 50 gallon drums with one powerhead at room temperature (22-25 degrees Centigrade). Though it is typically still cloudy at this point, once placed into the tanks, it clears readily.

So, the magnesium level should most certainly not be that low, and this would be unacceptable to us. Could you possibly try mixing up your next batch as recommended above, test the parameters and let us know what the parameters look like? This would really help us to take the next appropriate steps. Thanks so much, and we look forward to your reply!

Product Support

**************************************************************************************************

Thank you for the response. I started a new batch of water this morning (11am central) , I will check the levels later today and report back. I hope it is just an error on my part from mixing too long . That will make things much easier to fix.

***************************************************************************************************

I hope that's all it is as well, but please let us know!

Product Support

****************************************************************************************************

Ok , new batch mixed at room temp to 1.026 .

My test as of 2:30 pm central = 1200ppm

LFS test at 2:45 pm = 1200ppm
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
Test was performed by Fish2morrow

Both of us are using a salifert test kit .

Sent from my iPhone

***********************************************************************************************************

I am currently awaiting a response

Here is the letter to another reefer :

Hello Wade,

Thank you for contacting us and for being a fan! Alkalinity for salinity should be 3.2 to 3.8 meq/L or 8.9 to 10.6 dKH. It would be extremely unusual for a bucket of salinity to have levels that do not match the analysis on the bucket. Unlike every other salt on the market, we actually test each batch of salt after it has been mixed, then we send a sample to an independent EPA registered lab to ensure that we have not made an error in testing ourselves. It is the results we receive from the independent lab that are printed on the label. This analysis is also available at our website aquavitro . salinity. There is a search bar in the lower right portion of the page where you can enter your lot number and it will pull up the analysis.

How do you mix your salt? When mixing salinity we recommend mixing it at room temperature and for no more than 24 hours. The longer you mix the more CO2 the salt mix will take in, causing precipitation of calcium and carbonates (decreasing alkalinity). We await your response.

And then:

Hello Wade,

You may be over-mixing the salt. Our salinity is very different. While other salts take a good bit of mixing, it is preferable to not mix ours too much. Here we only mix it for several hours before using it. We also use a small power head in a 50 gallon drum. Your large pump may be introducing too much CO2 and along with the over-mixing both can cause precipitation of alkalinity. Perhaps next time you mix salt you can shorten the mixing time and use a smaller pump. I hope this information helps. Have a great day!

This just arrived.

Thank you so much for that information, Bryan. We keep a retain of every batch of salinity that we make; I am going to check with our lab, have them pull the retain and test the parameters. I will not tell them what you are seeing; rather, I will just ask them to test the salt and report the results to me. I will let you know what I hear from them. We want to ensure that you are getting what we claim, so we will let you know the results. Thanks so much, and we will be in touch.

Product Support

Very interesting, just bought a bucket of this stuff. Will test params of everything when I get home and start mixing. I dont like that it mixes so cloudy as other brands of salt are able to achieve somewhat relative results without having cloudiness. I like seachem products for the most part but would like to see that issue fixed. Other than that im still testing out how it does in the tank, so far the fish seem unaffected by anything and the tank clears up within an hour most of the time.

Following....I just switched to Aquavitro and by Coincidence I just bought a mag test kit and was going to test this weekend. I have only done a couple water changes with this salt, so I'll be interested in your findings.

Wow...I had no idea that they wanted you to mix for less than 24hrs. I mix 25g at a time and usually let it mix for 48-72 hours with a heater in a covered trash can. I've been using this salt since January and I don't test the batches anymore because i felt it was a reliable salt. If I remember the lowest I ever saw on a batch was like 1280. I always test my tank ~3hrs after a water change and I don't ever see any huge drops that a 1000ppm 20% water change would cause.

*following - I'm a user, but haven't had any issues. Going on about 2 months.

Geeze, that makes it sound like maybe I do have a "problem". Lol :)

This is very concerning. So they have a salt (that i am using as well) that is unlike any other on the market for pre-mixing. I now wonder about the answer they gave. So I guess when the salt enters the tank it will no longer have an intoducion of CO2 that will precipitate out the calcium? It sounds like they are saying thier salt mix is not good for storage bins that require circulation to keep the salt mixed up and no fallout. Can a chemist please explain how it would happen in a storage bin and not in the display tank? Makes no sense to me..

That being said I have about 35 gallon left in a 50 gallon mix that has been mixing for about 7 days now. I will test mag level and post.

Salifert test results: 1280 mg -- therefore no problems on my end with continuous mix of 7 days
I need to mention that I do add a cup of mag flake to every other batch of salt I make (this batch had a cup). The salt is stored for 20 days on a continuous water change via a Litermeter III. I have observed no problems with parameters in 6 months of using the product. I will test Mg level again in a few days in the container. Mg Level in my main display is 1250,calcium 400, alk 7.0

@Lance Lammons wrote:
This is very concerning. So they have a salt (that i am using as well) that is unlike any other on the market for pre-mixing. I now wonder about the answer they gave. So I guess when the salt enters the tank it will no longer have an intoducion of CO2 that will precipitate out the calcium? It sounds like they are saying thier salt mix is not good for storage bins that require circulation to keep the salt mixed up and no fallout. Can a chemist please explain how it would happen in a storage bin and not in the display tank? Makes no sense to me.. said:
I'm no chemist but in my mind, diluting the mixture 10 fold would stop most of the precipitation. Which is what we are doing with water changes. I'm sure there is still some, but this will hold true with any salt. This salt just has higher levels of coral building elements which makes it a bit more, (for lack of a better term) "volatile" in the clean mixing container. This is why I use it though. I like not having to dose as many additives after the fact. I'd rather my salt be all that it can be.

I've never paid much attention to how long I mix my salt. That being said, it usually is more than 24 hours at home, because I'm lazy. And, in all of the stores I have worked in, you mix salt at the end of the day so that it's ready for the morning, so 12-18 hours. When we do water changes on the displays at this store, the salt typically mixes for an hour at the most (because they usually get done after closing) and is still cloudy when it is used. The display will stay a tiny bit cloudy for an hour, and then run crystal clear again. Acros, LPS, and softies stay polyped out and completely unfazed. I've never tested enough of a difference to notice that mixing different lengths of time, end with consistently differing results. I'll pay more attention now that I have read this to see if I can find if what they are saying is true. But to be honest, I doubt I'll worry about it too much unless lower than average levels start to become common.

I've never understood the issue people have with the salt clouding during mixing. What does it harm? Every salt I have ever used clouds to a degree. Someone gave me a bag of Tunze salt and that stuff stayed cloudy until I used it. I mixed up 20 gal and used half one week, half the next week. What was in the barrel never cleared. The water tested great and the tank cleared in less than an hour...

Here is the latest , and probably the end of the conversation with Seachem.
********************************************************************************************
Hi Bryan, Nov 6

I have pulled the batch sheet from the particular batch you are having difficulty with and below are the numbers from our testing:

pH = 8.43
Alkalinity = 3.5 meq/l
Calcium = 440 ppm
Magnesium = 1350 ppm

With this being said, we would be more than happy to test a sample of your salt if you would be willing to send it in to us. We would require 2-3 cups of the salt, sealed in a zip-lock bag and sent to the following address:

Seachem Laboratories
Attention: Tech Support
1000 Seachem Drive
Madison GA 30650

Let us know how you would like to proceed and we will do all we can to help. Thanks!

Product Support

************************************************************************************************
Nov 7

Made two batches of water and tested both with salifert as well as Elos test kits . The results are :

Lot # 53384.00 (batch in question)

Salifert = 1200
Elos = 1200

Label shows 1374

Second batch

Lot # 58451.00

Salifert = 1360
Elos = 1400

Label shows 1362

There isn't a lot of salt left in the bucket in question so I will just dose as needed until it is gone . Again , I would like to thank you for all of your help . It's good to see a company that will stand behind their product and offer to help out when issues arise.

*******************************************************************************************

You are very welcome and please, don't hesitate to contact us if ever you have questions or concerns.

Product Support

Due to the small amount left in the bucket , approx 4" , Im not sure how accurate the testing from the lab would have been. If this would have been mid bucket then I would have sent a sample to them to verify. With 3 different test kits showing similar results Im pretty sure it is accurate.

My plan is to take random samples of the new bucket and see how things go. If anything weird shows up I will be sure to update this thread and get Seachem involved once again.

Man I hate seeing stuff like this because I am such a Noob. I chose to start off using Red Sea Coral Pro because of what the hype was. I had trouble testing Mag levels due to high readings using a Red Sea Mag Test. Now that I have a new "bigger than a Pico" tank at 65g I had decided to go with this salt brand do to its hype. Geez, its just like everything else... Chevy, Ford, Dodge... mine is the best!

@Carl T wrote:
Man I hate seeing stuff like this because I am such a Noob. I chose to start off using Red Sea Coral Pro because of what the hype was. I had trouble testing Mag levels due to high readings using a Red Sea Mag Test. Now that I have a new "bigger than a Pico" tank at 65g I had decided to go with this salt brand do to its hype. Geez said:
Don't get to discouraged , this is the only bucket I have ever had an issue with. I think with anything you put into your tank it is always best to check it out . You cant just assume everything will always be perfect , that why the test kits are there.