AquaFX Mako 5 Stage RO/DI

Bangemslim

Membership Expired
I have the above unit that had filters replaced maybe 2012 but moved in 2013. Just started using it again and having problems. TDS meter screen was only working at an angle so I replaced the batteries but turned the tuning dial. Now it reads ~117 in and ~147 out. Also the psi gauge is reading zero, but when I turned the flush valve on the drain It shot out with high pressure. The 1 micron pre-filter is a little off white can't tell how to check the carbon and the DI chambers are turning tan which means they need to be replaced soon.

What should I do? If needing new cartridges are there inexpensive replacements? AquaFX replacements are $120. I don't care if it's only 50GPD or 300GPD. I use a max of 20 gallons a week maybe 25 if it's hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few things sound off here. It sounds like your TDS meter is on your waste line rather than product line.
1) My TDS in is closer to 400, I wish I had your water.
2) TDS should never be going up.
3) That sounds like either a membrane that isn't fitting correctly, the TDS meter on the waste line instead of the product line, or a bad meter.
4) Pressure gage reading 0 is also odd. What location is this at?
5) Filters are cheaper than a new unit. Look at BRS.
6) If you change the membrane (shouldn't need to do this often) with a different GPD membrane you also need to change the waste line restrictor to match.
7) The flush valve just bypasses the restriction orifice, so it should send high pressure out the drain. Since there is pressure in the system, where is the gage that it is reading 0?
8) I'm assuming you ran it for a few minutes before checking TDS, the startup water will be at least somewhat dirty, especially if it hasn't run in a while.

Something is definitely off but I assure its not on the waste line. The setup is exactly how I had it in California just been sitting for 2.5 years. I ran 5 gallons when I set it up to flush settled sediments and dust but the TDS was still reading 3ppm on the out side(I never cared about what was going in just what's coming out so I never checked). Hopefully I can add these pics so you have a visual aspect. The only difference is that my TDS is after the 2 DI filters and not before it like the diagram. The psi gauge is at the exact spot as directed by AquaFX. Is there any maintenance on the gauge like oil or adjustment.

It takes roughly 2 hours to fill a 5 gallon jug.
d93684551d089379daf87395f009e1c6.jpg
alt="">

cb2ffc5e83b5da1853088655127f7b0d.jpg
alt="">
42b5da9335c27cf85cc593dbc138caa7.jpg
alt="">

RO membranes don't like to dry out once they are put in to service. If it completely dried rather than staying wet the membrane may be shot. That runs ~$35 at BRS (75 gpd membrane). Since you aren't sure you might as well replace the other two filters while you're at it as it is only $30 more (or so) including the DI resins. If you have refillable DI containers it may be less, although it's been a while since I looked at them. If your pressure gage is shot that's a couple bucks, although you might try putting it directly on the feed line to confirm. I can see the membrane going bad, but I'm a bit surprised about the gage.

Just re-read your last post. Is your TDS 3, or 147? Which location? If that is a TDS of 3 before the DI actually sounds about right.

Yeah I wasn't too clear with the facts. It was last used in May 2013. In Jan 2015 I hooked it up and was getting 3ppm on the outlet after the DI cartridges. I never checked what the incoming was. Since I turned the adjustment screw on the meter I'm not sure if it's correct anymore. I don't understand DM's website on how to readjust the meter with NaCl and that's where I need to start to ensure readings are correct.

I'm going to take each cartridge out one at a time and see if the gauge works then so I'll positively know which is bad. When I take them out ill see if it's refillable but I don't think they are.

I'm going to put the gauge on the inlet now and see what happens.

The easiest way to reset the meter(close, not spot on), is probably to borrow a handheld TDS meter or bring your meter to someone else's place. Compare it to their RO/DI and to their tap (with their meter) and you'll probably be close.

@jccaclimber wrote:
The easiest way to reset the meter(close said:
That's a great idea. Maybe Oceans Avenue will help me calibrate it... I did get my PSI gauge to work and its reading 58 PSI. I also played with the TDS meter and its saying 174 in average and between 35 and 135 out but levels around 75 after a while. Still no where near what it is supposed to be but a step closer. After I get the meter setup right I will update, thanks!

You should get a handheld tds meter. The inline ones are not temperature compensated so they are not 100% accurate. Most handheld are temperature compensated. Personally I would replace all the filters.