Aquafuge advise

Im wanting to get an aquafuge for my aquapod, its around 20" long and 19.5" tall. but wondering if i should get one with a bulid-in skimmer or just put a skimmer in there. Like the Tunze Nano 9002

my choices are this,
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3727+3618&pcatid=3618
or this one, twice the price with skimmer
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3727+12591&pcatid=12591

What do you guys think?

i would honestly get the one without the skimmer, cause i would put money on that skimmer not be very effective or if it is it has to be cleaned almost daily to stay such.

Yeah don't waste money on that skimmer option. Also I had one of the CPR hang on fuges back when I first started. I would caution you that if you put macro algae in it to constantly keep an eye on it because mine got sucked into the return area and overflowed onto the floor several times. Also if you do purchase the tunze 9002, I believe that will take up quite a bit of room in that. They are really designed to be hang on back, not stuck into a refuge like that. It might work, but I would call tunze and check with them first.

they have a pretty decieant price on one for a jbj 24, so i think it would fit my 24 aquapod. But is it better or close to the tunze nano?

Hey guys, I don't want to hijack the thread, but you're touching on a topic I was just about to ask about - is there a ratio of surface area-to-size of aquarium that we should consider when starting a refugium?

@Ivan wrote:
Hey guys said:
Not really... the primary purpose of a refuge is a place that is void of predators so pods etc an mate and make little pods etc. A refuge can be as simple as a few pieces of rubble and some water volume. No light is required as they do the deed with or without lights. You can then ramp up from there and include lights, more rubble, macro algae etc...

The only time surface area or size comes into play is when you want to grow macro algae for nutrient export or food for your veggie eaters or if you want to include sand for DSB etc. The macro needs ample room to grow and the DSB needs enough surface area to actually work and contribute to the reduction of nitrates and PO4 etc. Once you toss sand into the mix the size needs to be large enough so if you are talking about a refuge for an aquapod like this guys, you're better off without sand in there and sticking to LR rubble.

A refuge doesn't even need to be a separate container/contraption. Tossing a small bit of foam into an overflow or sump to float will provide housing for pods etc.

It all comes to what you want to accomplish and the volume of pods or macro your needs/wants require.

Here's pics of my medium Aquafuge with a Tunze 9002. I bought the whole setup (tank & Aquafuge) 9/2007 and had it up and running by 10/2007. I've never had isses with chaeto going over into the overlow, maybe a few strings of it every now and then. This is an older model Tunze with the clamp so it works perfect, newer models have magnets and I'm not sure how that would work. Aesthecally I'm not thrilled with it, but funcionally it works extremely well. I think a Sapphire skimmer that would sit lower in the fuge, and a light that fits across the whole Aquafuge would lend to a much better look.

it looks realy nice, i realy need to get the HQI light first. But in the next couple months i will be buying the medium aquafuge and a skimmer. i would like to get the tunze nano but the magnet might be an issue.