Apex Email setup

coralreefer

Membership Expired
I did a quick search on here and the www with no new info so here goes...

I got the Apex all hooked up last night. Successfully connected it to my network and was able to port forward to control it from my pc as well as my iphone/ipad. All I have left to do is get the gaming adapter installed and I should be good to go on the installation. Only trouble I ran into was the email setup. I have read posts, apex manual and the unofficial apex manual and nothing still seems to work. Here are my settings, please post up if you have any other advice.

Apex hooked directly to Uverse Router changed port to something other than 80 so there is no conflict. I tried all combinations of the server and port. the firmware version on my apex is 4.11

Email enable: enabled
SMTP Server: mail.gmx.com (also tried smtp.gmx.com)
SMTP port: 587 (also tried 25 and 465 which was recommended on one of the internet searches i did)
To: myusername@gmail.com
Alt: myphonenumber@txt.att.net
Re-email delay: 60
Time zone: (this was not an option on my screen, assuming they did away with it in a newer firmware version)
Email Authentication: Enabled
User name: myusername@gmx.com
Password: my GMX password

I had someone help me get mine set up and it shoulds like mine is exactly like yours. He got everything working except the email and text.

Would you like to try using my email server for testing? If so, I can PM you with the account names and servers.

I use this email server for phone systems that use emails to notify customers of voice messages when they can not get their servers working.

That sounds like it may work great for testing purposes, but will it lead to a solution on this?

When I had an acjr, I could send myself an email using acserial2web software which is way outdated compared to the apex.

I don't know if it will lead to a solution, but when my customers try to connect their telephone equipment with their gmail servers, they tend to have problems. I just give them this and it works for them. PMing you with the settings.

I forgot to add, when I telnet in and add the 3 commands according to the manuals, I get "mail.gmx.com unk server". This is probably the issue but I don't know why it won't work if others are using gmx mail as well.

I'm guessing you have the DNS/Gateway settings in there. But looking at the manual, it should receive its DHCP settings from the router.

I have no idea about all these acronyms, DNS, DHCP, I mean I can look up what they are, but I dont understand their function so its hard for me to troubleshoot this. I posted in RC as well and they told me to check the DNS as well because uverse may proxy the primary and secondary DNS and they would need to be the same. How do I determine what the DNS is for the router itself and if it proxies them? ipconfig /all from command prompt? Why would I be able to access it from a pc/iphone/ipad if the DNS isnt correctly set up?

This might be a bit confusing, but I'll try.

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Which means, your router is handing out IP address.
DNS is domain name server. This holds information (IPaddress) about servers such as http://www.whatever.com
Gateway is the IP address of your router. It is the link between your private network to your public network.

If your router is handing out IP address (DHCP Mode) then it should supply the Apex an IP address with the DNS, Gateway, and Subnet. If you are inputting all this manually, you will need all the information.

Everytime you type in a web address or something, it goes through the DNS and Gateway.

For example.

If your computer has an ip address of 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1, but you do not have any DNS settings in there, you can not access a web address when you type in http://www.blah.com. It is because the PC does not know where to send http://www.blah.com to.

Once you input the DNS, it'll send http://www.blah.com to the DNS servers, which will respond back with your web address.

If you type in ipconfig /all from the command prompt, it'll give you all the settings. such as

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-63-4B-AC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Just input everything the same except the IPaddress. Your Apex will need to be a number that is not being used by another device.

Since your IPAD and PC is possibly on the same network, the router knows the IP addresses are internal and it never leaves to the outside world.

I hope that did not confuse you too much.

Gmail will not work. You may have to set up an email address with your provider that is what i had to do. Verizon blocks all accounts from using the ports needed. Pm me later i can help you with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey... why don't you guys take your APEX discussions somewhere else.... The rest of us are jealous :p

somehow i got it to work thanks to you ntl555. I changed the three addresses to what matched the uverse router and it worked. The only funny thing is, when i try to send myself a test email from the web interface it wont work, but if i do so from the apex itself, it does.

And gmail works for the address you send the email to, not from the address it is coming from. I used gmx from the beginning, it wasnt the problem!

Not only does it work flawlessly for connection over www, but it now emails the alarm every which way and I also got it hooked up to the smallest WGA of them all...check it!

a6cd0b46-3460-3c4f.jpg
alt="">

If I can do it you all can too!