Apex controller float sensor question

Laser

Membership Expired
I am wanting to change my ato over to the apex to be able to receive email alerts if problem arrises. Question is, can i use the PM1 module for the float switches or do you have to get the I/O breakout box. It seems the PM1 module does the same thing and gives you the ability to monitor second pH which i want to do for the calcium reactor. All together I plan to have pH1 for tank, pH2 for Calcium reactor, Orp for tank, and top off..anyone know??

you either need to use a breakout box or use this one it plugs in to the i/o port make sure your apex has the port as some versions of apex not sure if it is lite or jr doesnt have the port but if you do buy the pm1 it comes with i/o port for breakout box or avast top off

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit

personally i would skip the orp it is a pain as it needs to be cleaned multiple times a month to have consistent readings. also that way you can use two ph probes if you have the full apex.

I think that you would still have to have a breakout box because it only uses an 8 pin mini din cable. There are some DIY breakout plans on the net... Hope someone else chimes in to verify what I'm saying...

@Tornelas383 wrote:
I think that you would still have to have a breakout box because it only uses an 8 pin mini din cable. There are some DIY breakout plans on the net... Hope someone else chimes in to verify what I'm saying... said:
Yes you can DIY a breakout box and its quite easy along with giving you spots for 6 switches instead of just one. THe float switches can be gotten for cheap(ebay<$5) and made to do all kinds of crazy things:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100471

Here is an example along with the DIY breakout box

breakout box ... that's how i control my ATO on my ACIII. I have two float switches for redundancy.

SPOKe with Neptune and breakout box is required for float switches and sensors. They will have new sensors available to market within 2 months so I will hold out till then.

Lance if I was gonna do it over again I would of kept my autotopoff.com setup in my opinion you really don't want all the critical stuff running through the controller in case the controller acts up then your SOL. I keep my skimmer, return pump and ca rx on a dj switch over being controlled by the apex.

i guess not if it fails in way it will not be able to communicate with web for notifications. Maybe i need to get another controller to control the apex to be failproof?lol

@Lance Lammons wrote:
i guess not if it fails in way it will not be able to communicate with web for notifications. Maybe i need to get another controller to control the apex to be failproof?lol said:
Haha. I've never had any issues w. my ACIII. 5 years going strong now.

I have run a Aquacontoller Jr. for the past 7 years with no issues as well so knock on wood. I figure at least this way WHEN something go wrong I will at least have an idea it has happened.

@Lance Lammons wrote:
now that is brilliant!!thanks for the reply said:
Or better yet just hook the entire Apex up to this: http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=F62127 from what I have read it should power a 100g tank for at least 24hrs with no lighting.

that looks like a great option!! About same price as computer UPS and much better efficiency. May have one by next week. Gonna research a little.

I don't know if that's the best one I read about it one one of the 100 forums I read, they were talking about how to sustain a reef during a hurricane...don't think we have to worry about that here!