Anyone using sand from Marco Rocks?

If so, how do you like it and what grade is closest to Caribsea Special?

Alternatively, what LFS has lots of Caribsea in stock at a good price? I figure I'm going to need at least 240 lb of sand.

@MBSL55 wrote:
If so said:
i have the coarse grade sand from marco rocks and it's not too bad actually; my only complaint is that there's a huge discrepancy in that particular grain size amongst the grains. it's not as white as i had hoped, but not nearly as yellow as displayed on their site. i would say the coarse grade is closest to caribsea special. as for any LFSs carrying it, i wouldn't know. if you want, i can mail you a baggy of some dry marco-rock sand or take a few pics for you from my phone.

Franks tanks usually has several of the large bags of seaflor special. I am sure he could get plenty in stock if you shoot him an email. You probably already know, but be ready to do lots of rinsing. DNA has also indicated they can order the large bags. I really think seaflor special is the way to go despite the amount of rinsing required.

For that much sand I would get tropic Eden sand from premium aquatics that way you don't have to wash all that sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Marco fine and frankly it is a little too fine for my taste. It gets blown around a fair bit. I would guess I spent 4+ hours washing 80 lbs of it.

@kuyatwo wrote:
For that much sand I would get tropic Eden sand from premium aquatics that way you don't have to wash all that sand Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:

Thanks guys. I think I'll look into the Tropic Eden. I do want white looking sand with consistent grain sizes and saving me from having to rinse that much sand is major plus. I remember how long it took just to rinse out 20 lbs of sand so that x 10 is not so appealing!

@Exigency, I might take you up on that offer if I'm still looking at the Marco Rocks sand.

Okay, if I go with Tropic Eden, I assume the Reef Flakes are a good size that would not be too fine but still small enough for sand sifters?

I think that tropic Eden is definitely easier. From what I see it is almost 2 x the cost. Looks like approx $37 for 30lb bag of tropic Eden and approx $27 for a 40 lb bag of seaflor special. I agree that rinsing that much sand isn't much fun. FWIW, last time I was at franks, I bought a couple of 40 lb bags and made the comment about not looking forward to rinsing it. He looked at me like I was crazy and said he never rinses it, just uses it right out of the bag. I noticed he setup his new display tank that way and it cleared up fine.

I still rinsed mine. Yeah the reef flakes is the one that is comparable to seaflor.

Mike, stop by if you want to see the reef flakes color and size in person, I am only 15-20 mins from you.

@MBSL55 wrote:
Okay said:
I used half reef flakes and seaflor special you can not see a difference just in time and particles you need to clean out of the seaflor. I got pieces of wood the last time I cleaned two bags of the stuff

I love the TE Reeflakes and that is what I used in my 400g. It still moves due to the dual MP60s, but not as much as finer sand would.

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies and input! That 1/2 and 1/2 mix sounds like a cost effective way to go.

Marc, was the sand in your temporary tank the TE stuff as well? I'm guessing you prefer it over the Caribsea stuff?

Joe, are the pics in your 75g build pretty representative of what the sand looks like?

I've got some time to figure out what to get and this gives me some food for thought . . .

I had their sugar grain sized sand (marco rocks) and was happy with it. I didnt think it was that dirty. I dont have any experience with their coarser stuff since it wasnt available back then.

Yes, that is the same sand in the 215g. I only put in about 80 lbs (if at that) and the rest is in the vat outside for the time being.