anyone have a solana?

I am getting a new tank this week, a Solana, and I was wondering what those of you who have them think about them. I am upgrading from a JBJ nano-cube,and I've didn't make any upgrades to it. So, a lot of the things included in the Solana I have never had before, such as a protein skimmer.
I was just wondering the ease of maintaning this aquarium compared to a nano-cube. I am hoping to use the tank as is, without making any upgrades. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the system.
Thanks.

I have had a solana set up since May I think. I ordered with the big silver pendant. The bulb is a 14k, forgot the name brand, but it isn't very good. I'm getting ready to replace it, figured while it was cycling and early in the tank life, who needed a good bulb.

Let's see...

Maintaining - very easy, I do water changes every other week, 5 gallons (12%). I use the bio balls provided to keep it quiet, but I clean them every water change. Protein skimmer works pretty good, I'm happy with it. Throw away the auto-top off small bottles, they didn't work well for me. I just top off every night. I also clean the filters out every water change.

Mods - I haven't done any at all. I thought about adding macro algae to the middle section, but haven't looked into lighting it. I don't use carbon with the tank, and always make sure to keep the skimmer clean in addition to the other maintenance.

Wife says it's time for dinner, but if you have questions, let me know :)

Hey congrats Casey. I wouldn't put a solana on that same end table though. I have a solana but it's still dry.

There are a lot of great things you can do with this tank. I'd suggest going to reefcentral and looking up the Solana tank owners thread in the nano tank section. I think it's about 32 pages long but there is no shortage of opinions on everything about that tank from people who own one.

In summary, most don't like the stock skimmer and either replace it or modify it. At the least, I would remove the sponges and bioballs that are in it. The second chamber usually becomes a refugium. Leave the bottom flow plate in place or use some rock rubble and half way fill the chamber with cheato. Turn the ball of cheato over weekly. When the macro grows to fill the chamber, rip it in half and let it grow again.

Some also add a phosban reactor to the third chamber to run phosban and/or carbon. It will fit inside the chamber hanging on the back wall.

I don't know much about the stock return pump but I think about half the folks upgrade the skimmer and return pumps.

I'd think adding one or two koralia powerheads would also be a good idea - you can't rely on the return to provide all the flow the tank needs.

The glass top holds in the heat and most remove it - also because it's no fun pulling it off every time you need to get in the tank.

The bulb that comes with the pendant is the Current USA 14,000K 150w HQI. I'd go ahead and use it and after 9 months to a year replace it with whatever you like. I'm planning to use a Pheonix 14k but it's up to you to find a bulb you like the look of and it's growth potential.

I'd like to add a actinic strip light for color supplementaton also but it hard to find something narrow enough and short enough not to block the pendant light.

In all - you've made a very good choice.
I would keep the nanocube around for a frag tank or you can give it to me for the same reason!

Here's the RC thread if you're interested:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1341848&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Yeah I will look at this thread, thanks. And thankyou two for your replies.
Jeff, I was not giong to use the end table, for fear is would buckle under the weight. I was going to try to find a used stand (problaby have to get one that was for a bigger aquarium, but it would still work). I won't be able to put the tank in that same spot either, because the kids would get their hands in it with no lid.
Since I've never had a protein skimmer, I hope the stock skimmer will seem sufficient to me, because I really don't want to replace anything. I think the ligting I am getting with my tank is the PC; I didn't get the HQI because everything I have is under PCs and doing great, and I'm planning on just keeping the same corals I have now. Maybe one day I'll decide I want to try some new stuff and get metal halides, but not for now. I would be interested in turning the middle chamber into a fuge. If anyone stumbles across what light would be good to use to do this in this tank, please let me know. I will try to find it in that thread you sent.

Since you're getting the pc fixture instead of the mh, you could probably use the glass top if you want.

Here is a small fixture i've seen used for fuge light. The reviews below reflect that.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~TA6131~idCategory~FILTFILDFX~category~Flexible_Mount_LEDs~vendor~.html

I use a white one of these lights. It's submersable so you could put it right in the chamber. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15551[/url]

ehh, maybe. I have it on the outside of the tank with its suction cup and it shines in through the glass. The top should get plenty of light from the main fixture but if you add the little hub you can plug three of these little lights at once.