ANOTHER AEFW In Tank Try Gone Bad -- UPDATE

Laser

Membership Expired
FYI [smilie=clapping.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif]
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464227

I sent the link to Kate Rawlinson to read. I hope this works out in the future - that would be great news.

Are you saying that you would add 100 pounds of KCl to a tank that has 100 gallons of water? And then drain all of the water and replace with fresh salt water?

@DFW wrote:
Are you saying that you would add 100 pounds of KCl to a tank that has 100 gallons of water? And then drain all of the water and replace with fresh salt water? said:
works out to 1lb of KCL for every 50 gallons tank volume, let sit in tank 30 minutes, then commence with the water changes.

Treatment #3 Performed 1/1/15:

Observations of treatment #3 were very encouraging as we DID NOT see any more aefw (or any tiny life for that matter) during the treatment. Corals seemed to respond well again as many kept PE this time and seem to be getting used to the elevated potassium spikes. We literally saw nothing in the water column this time including a lack of pods. We performed two different 25% water changes last night and will perform 2 more 25% changes today and a 50% change on Saturday morning. (this is same process we used for each treatment).
We have beat the dreaded AEFW with this in tank treatment and will now observe the recovery of the acros. We plan to get water back to normal through water changes and bring K back down to around 400-450. We will then add a clean up crew back in the display to combat the algae outbreak that occured from all the death. We plan to add the fish back at the end of week along with the rest of the inhabitants we were able to catch and QT during the treatements. I will update in the next few days to assure recovery progresses as we have seen with the first two treatments.

BYE BYE AEFW! [smilie=rock.gif] [smilie=rock.gif]

With great pain I must now post that we are experiencing losses of the sps colonies. The nutrient swing was too much for the tank evidently and the ammonia and nitrates were both elevated. We attempted several water changes to bring down the levels but no luck. In the last 2 days we have lost approximately 25% of the remaining SPS stock with a majority of the remaining colonies also effected already at the bases. The RTN is happening in an accelerated fashion and a total loss of sps is now expected by morning, although we do still have about 10 colonies that look perfect so go figure.. In a ray of good news the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are now in check as well as phospates but it appears too late. All other corals remain totally healthy and the chalices and LPS are actually seeing an accelerated growth rate due to the nutrient explosion. We will give updates on further losses but at this point I cannot promote this in tank method until further research from Kate and her team yield better results. I am convinced, and even took out several sps for observation and cannot find any signs of aefw, that we killed the aefw but the nutrient explosion proved to much to handle through usual means of nutrient export (I.E. skimming, filter socks, water changes, gfo, carbon).

SO UNFORTUNATELY CAN THE MODS PLEASE CHANGE TO TITLE OF THE THREAD!! (maybe to ANOTHER AEFW in tank try gone bad) No further losses need to occur. I believe that this is a tremendous weapon as a dip against aefw but then again the eggs remain the question... DAMN!!!!!!!!!Sorry for the vent but to watch all the losses brings tears to my eyes...

Sorry to hear that Lance. Maybe I have a few twigs you can try to rebuild with.

we have continued to loose sps in the last few days. I continue to observe and have yet to see any aefw HOWEVER maybe a game changer today. I pulled out some frags that we cut from mothers while trying to save them and noticed on the base where they were already starting to rtn there were little black spots. At first I thought just dead skin or maybe algae but when I put on my cheaters and put it under light it was tiny black bugs. I pulled a few more sps frags and a couple of mini colonies we cut to save and sure enough they all have them!!!! REALLY????
So I guess the tank must have been infested with aefw and these little black bugs and the black bugs did not get killed in the KCL treatments? These are NOT red bugs ( I have had them, seen them and can spot them) but look just like them but they are black. Anyway not sure where to go from here. ALL chalices, zoas, LPS continue to thrive with not a single issue. I have read some have tried interceptor on the black bugs. I can tell you that I prepared a 24ml sample tank water with 2ml bayer and soaked them for 25 minutes and it did NOT touch the black bugs!! I am going back to try different dips but I feel sure the KCL dip will not work or I could not have them in the first place..

OHHHHH More confusion...

You're having all kinds of fun over there lately. :(

In an effort to save some of the acropora I went ahead and performed the interceptor treatment. I was able to order the pills online from Australia I believe a few months back for emergency. I figure this is it...Just put a 200% dosage in tonight (due to some posts I had read relating to the black bugs taking a higher dose). Will observe later tonight but I already have seen a few spots they were visible they have released and went somewhere...Fingers crossed..
For all of those now wondering yes I do now believe there to be some type of relationship between aefw and red/black bugs. This is just way to much of a coincidence....Hope you are still tuning in Kate! I know you guys were going to take a look at this as well coming up so a little more proof. Maybe I have killed the aefw, but the KCl did not kill the red/black bugs, and they are now taking over without any competition. Not so hard to believe the KCL did not kill them as many of the snails actually were fine after a few days of hibernation. (well i say fine - they were moving and eating algae). And maybe just maybe I can now wipe out the red/black bugs and nothing left??? We shall soon see.. It was certainly worth a try in my book..Stay tuned for the soap opera.

Well the morning after and as I expected the black bugs seem to eat interceptor for snacks. TOTALLY uneffected by the treatment. We even dosed at 250% the recommended dosage.. So maybe just perform another this morning without a water change?

We went ahead and prepared another 250% solution of interceptor and added to tank this morning.
In total we have now added 500% of the recommended dosage. Please go away black bugs or a total removal of corals and start over is in order..With the black bugs I am now scared that they will also attack the LPS eventually so all efforts for removal have been implemented.

8 hours later and NO site of any black bugs!!!I will do a water change, put carbon back in line, turn on skimmer, and observe. I can already say I see a few SPS that have a little PE that I have not seen in several days so maybe a good sign.