And So It Begins...DSA 65 gal

Well after "testing the Waters" with a JBJ 28 gal NANO I am thinking the DSA 65 rimless is what I want. I have been buying a few items here and there and last night actual work began. Man am I sore today.

The stand bought are $350 and up like $580 for the taller version

I studied it closely and think I am on my way to a very good copy.
I am doing things backwards in that the tank is going to be the last thing I buy.

I know I have been searching the web for threads on this tank and they are very few out there so this will be one for anybody else who decides on this tank.

Off to home depot.

Went with oak plywood as it was only $5 more than snadywood and I knew it would stain out nice and be super strong.

total cost on the stand wood materials $99

65gal%20DSA0001.JPG
alt="">

65gal%20DSA0004.JPG
alt="">

65gal%20DSA0005.JPG
alt="">

65gal%20DSA0007.JPG
alt="">

65gal%20DSA0008.JPG
alt="">

Love the Kreg Jig

65gal%20DSA0003.JPG
alt="">

65gal%20DSA0009.JPG
alt="">

all the pieces added up came to only slightly less than this kit so got it and that way I know it will work as quietly as the one on display at Mid Cities

65gal%20DSA0011.JPG
alt="">

65gal%20DSA0012.JPG
alt="">

Advice and guidance is appreciated as I am a rookie at all this.

Looks good. When ever I build a stand I always end up spending at least $200 for materials including screws, stain, paint, wood, and whatever else. How tall is the stand?

Is a DSA rimless a 36" tank? Have you considered having Planet Aquariums build your tank? They are usually cheaper and do great work than anyone else.

Oh and nice light fixture you got there. You are going to love it!

yes well I spent another $60 on paint and other misc stuff so the cost rose to $160. 35 inches tall. yes I have tried to get in touch with a salesperson for planet Aquarium but no luck getting them to call me back so I gave up. yea got the light fixture cause of you and your telling me of the Black Friday discount...thanks again

yes well I spent another $60 on paint and other misc stuff so the cost rose to $160. 35 inches tall. yes I have tried to get in touch with a salesperson for planet Aquarium but no luck getting them to call me back so I gave up. yea got the light fixture cause of you and your telling me of the Black Friday discount...thanks again

ok I have a question?
Sand and rock ruble in refugim vs just rock ruble

Along with algae of course

I want something that is clean and pristine i dont want a nasty sump... will sand just turn in algea infested mess?

and I guess you put a few crabs down there too?

thanks

Mike

I have a couple rocks and some algae in my sump. Sumps always tend to get kind of nasty though. I wouldn't bother with sand down there.

I have sand and rocks in my fuge, and also keep hermit crabs to help eat any bits of food that might find its way down there. The sand layer is very thin and doesnt cause any problems, the rocks are great for my baby brittle stars to hide in.

Took my True Percula gift cards received for Christmas and got my sump today now pretty much just waiting on the tank now.

evenytym.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well I think the Stand Is Finished may add a shelf when I figure out my ATO situation.

Came up with idea of using some tool box liner foam for the bottom.

A friend welded me up some light sticks, got my mag 7 today and sump light waiting on some more plumbing and rock then its off to get the tank.

stand%20finished01.jpg
alt="">

StandFinished02.jpg
alt="">

standFinished03.jpg
alt="">

StandFinished04.jpg
alt="">

stand%20finished%2005.jpg
alt="">

looks like u'll have urself a nice little setup. i've always wondered how people mounted those poles behind their stands for the lights lol. finally get to see the back shot. how sturdy are they and would they be able to hold up metal halide pendants?

My light is only 5 lbs so 3/4 square tubing, more weight just means bigger tubes and maybe a brace. Mine is rock solid

That is a great looking stand! I only have one question: will the 1x6 that you attached the lighting brackets to be able to hold up? If I were you I would at least put one more small board a little lower. I think the one board will hold the weight ok but am a little worried that it might be able to "tIp" over easier since both bolts are so close together. Just my opinion tho...great job building it!

Not sure I follow you, the tank will weigh a lot more than the 5 lb light I think it would be hard for the light to be the cause of a tip over?

@meirvin wrote:
Not sure I follow you said:
I dont mean the whole stand tip over im just talking about the light stand tipping over due to the fact that the bolts which are holding the light brackets are less than two inches apart. I think if you put another 2x6 lower on the stand and bolted the light brackets to it as well that would make the light stand sturdier.

Ok a bit of a delay getting the new tank but finally moved the 28 gal JBJ to other side of the room and picked up the new tank Sat.

have it plumbed and alot of the suff in place.

going to get half the water and test the overflow for leaks then on to the aquascape.

I have had rocks soaking in water for a few months now so should be good to go.

IMG_2110.JPG
alt="">

IMG_2111.JPG
alt="">

IMG_2112.JPG
alt="">