Amphipods

This may be a dumb question, but...

Has anyone ever heard of Amphipods killing zoo polyps?

I have seen a major increase in larger amphipods while loosing a few small zoo colonies at the same time. :sad:

Thanks

Hello James! Nope, the zoas are too big to eat. They might be eating the algae off of them, or whatever is killing the zoas is another possibility.

You might try a fresh water dip on the zoas, and see if any "spiders" float away.... there are several threads about this on the boards :wink:

:evil: spiders. I fought them a few months ago. I pulled about 6 out of my tank after I bought some small zoo colonies from LFS (they were infested.)
Perhaps the spiders made the hike over to the other side of the tank.

Thanks for your reply.

Ah! Quite likely, then - I had the same thing. Lost two colonies before I figured it out...

and you are quite welcome!

I've lost 2 large rocks full of multiple color zoos over the past 4-5 months. No spiders have ever been seen and I've done 2 fresh water dips. The fish have never touched them. A red linkia star occasionally wanders over the zoo rock, but the large amphipods are all over them at night... :sad:

Honestly, it isn't the amphipods. It can be a variety of things. Getting your water parameters as close to reef levels is ideal, and make sure your salinity is correct. For a guideline, take a look at the chart at the top of this page:

http://www.melevsreef.com/parms.html