Amount of live rock needed in sump/tank

Eckolancer

Membership Expired
Wanted to ask everyones opinion on how much live rock is needed for a tank that is going to be mostly sps and zoas with a few lps frags. I have always kept a softies with anenome type tank. Which I always used about 1.5 lbs per gallon in DT. With all of my tanks I've never had a sump. Now with this new corner tank I wanted more space in the DT for fish to swim. I still have about 1 lb of live rock per gallon of water.

Here is a before pi of the rock work:
[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354502476.943747.jpg[/attachment]

Ive sold some rock and moved a lot to the sump. Here is a pic of the rock work now:
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354502532.990263.jpg[/attachment]

I think that it varies from tank to tank and from plan to plan. It depends on how porous the rock is also. A few years ago it was 1-2lbs per gallon with more people leaning toward the 2lb mark.
For my 270g I am building now I only ordered 115lbs. I may order a little more, but I want a very open island type tank. I like it that you have reduced the amount of rock in your tank. That is my personal opinion though. Your original question of how much rock is just really up to you.

My sumps crammed full of rubble and small rocks seem to have a much better bioload capacity than the other designs I have right now.

@shse666 wrote:
My sumps crammed full of rubble and small rocks seem to have a much better bioload capacity than the other designs I have right now. said:
That is what I was thinking. In the past I always had a couple HOB filters but they were just full of rubble rocks that supplied a lot of pods and grew a little big of algea. Now with the sump I am thinking about breaking apart the rocks and putting some egg crate layers in the sump just to get a nice flow around the rocks. I do hate breaking up a big live. I do like the look a little better. But the top of the tank just looks so empty now. I have a nice big piece of tonga rock I am thinking about putting in the corner to fill up the back ground a little. I kinda wish I would have make a rock wall I liked the look of those when I have seen them in person.

I think you are on top of it. Round up some ultra ugly 'fuge rubble and use the egg crate to minimize dead zones or allowing things to settle too easily to the bottom and turning into cement.
I looked at the artificial rock but its INSANELY priced. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-1-1-2-spheres.html

My frustrations with a plain remote 'fuge: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=101294&hilit=+bio

Just a note: using all small rubble gives plenty of area for AEROBIC bacteria to live because there is a lot of surface area, but it also leaves very little real estate for the ANEROBIC bacteria to live. Not that it is ever a problem to have more room for aerobic bacteria just sayin' that 5 lbs of rubble is not the same as a 5 lb rock. Nice tank though!

@texreefer wrote:
Just a note: using all small rubble gives plenty of area for AEROBIC bacteria to live because there is a lot of surface area said:
Now I have no idea what the difference is on those 2. Can you explain a little bit more about them or send me to a good place to read up on it.

Here's a link: http://reefchronicle.com/cycling-your-new-tank/ YES, it does have a bunch of info that is related more towards the setup and cycling of the tank, but there is a pretty good breakdown of the difference between anaerobic and aerobic bacteria and where each live, what each need to survive, and why you need them both to thrive for a stable tank.

wO88v.jpg
alt="">

No 'fuge.
No macros. (Tangs eat everything!)
No bio pellets.
No bacteria dosing.
No wet/dry stage.

No ammonia. No nitrite. No phosphate. Nitrates usually under 30 with heavy fish stock.

YMMV.

I would stack your rock a little different where you have more hidding places for your fish and more holes for flow. You may want to expose more sand for your zoo's and make a few peaks for the light hungry SPS. I wouldn't worry about lbs per gallon, just make the design you want and go for it.

@mtraylor wrote:
I would stack your rock a little different where you have more hidding places for your fish and more holes for flow. You may want to expose more sand for your zoo's and make a few peaks for the light hungry SPS. I wouldn't worry about lbs per gallon said:
there is actually a lot of holes and sand exposed behind the rock. I did add a front view cave on the right side last night.