Ammonia Spike I cant get rid of

dfwflyr

Membership Expired
So i have a 200g that has been established for about a year. I randomly added my livestock and built everything up, however when I would plan to add a fish I would also add a few pieces of rock to make a new cave and confuse my purple tang. I have about 150-180 lbs of live rock in my 220g tank and maybe 10 lbs in the sump. When I last added my vlamini tang I grabbed a large tonga branch rock to add in the tank as well. Since then I have been battling an ammonia spike I cannot get back in check. I have been using prodibio biodigest and API quick start. 50 gallon water changes every 2-3 weeks. The ammonia keeps coming back at about .25-.5ppm. It hasnt killed any fish but my SPS are gone and a good amount of my Zoas. Im thinking I need to add more rock to host more bacteria, however I know that will likely make the problem worse before it gets better. does anyone else have any experience with this issue, and what did you do to fix it?

Are you testing your new water before adding it to your system? The new water could be the culprit. Just a thought.

The new RODI is clean. No ammonia at all. I use prime from time to time but it only locks up the ammonia. I need to strengthen the biofiltration and live rock seems to be the answer but im not sure.

A pair of clowns, A blue hippo tang, naso tang, vlamingi tang, foxface, batfish, two anthias, melanarus wrasse, dragonette and pipe fish. the biggest fish is the foxface at 6"-8"

Check the ammonia of the top off water and the saltwater you're using for water changes.