amazing results from my fuge!

Congrats! My nitrates went from 40+ to 0 in less than a month when I added my 55 gallon fuge...

Now, one comment - you seem to be interchanging the terms "sump" and "refuguim"... A refuguim can be a part of a sump, or a stand alone tank/area, but sump is not = refuguim... Just wanted to point that out... :)

As far as water changes, mainly a matter of convenience... I usually do water changes by shutting off the flow to my 55 gallon refuguim, draining most of it, then filling it back up with new water, then turning the flow back on to it, but I've done water changes from my main tank too... (Can't do 'em from my sump, since it's only a dinky little 20 gallon tank... :wink: )

For a water change.

I drain water from my main display until the water level in the sump is at the minimum. Then I shut off my return pumps and the flow to the fuge.

Then I continue to drain from the display until I remove the desired amount of water.

To fill, I add fresh SW to the sump and and pump it into the main tank.

Works great for me.

@TriggaFish99 wrote:
For a water change. I drain water from my main display until the water level in the sump is at the minimum. Then I shut off my return pumps and the flow to the fuge. Then I continue to drain from the display until I remove the desired amount of water. To fill said:
I do the same... Just drain until the sump is about to run dry, then shut off the pumps and continue draining until I get the amount out I want. I then refill into the sump, filling it as much as possible and letting the heater work on it for 10 mins or so then turning it back on and filling up to original level.