Almost done!

tesfeld

Premium Member
I installed the magnets to the backside of the panels last night, so the tank's outside is almost finished. I just have to put some sort of legs that will block the light coming out the front.

almostdone1.jpg
alt="">
almostdone2.jpg
alt="">

After this I just need to dress out the wires, install anther power bar, and order 2 custom sump/fuge/frag tanks.

Pictures are broken Tony. I'm thinking about going the magnet route. How easy was it to install them on the panels? I've heard that industrial velcro works well too.

BTW, the frags are doing well.

Chirs

The pics are not broken they are just only viewable on Port 81 which is blocked my most company firewalls. :D

Here are the pics so the network challenged folks at work can see them.... Hope Tony doesn't mind. :lol:

Thanks Bill. It's just so easy to host on your own PC. Verizon blocks 80.

I need to mount the fan and move the thermometer too. I love how this worked out because I have a place around the rim of the tank to hide tweezers and can put my flashlights on top of the light box. You can see the turkey baster peeking out on the right side.

On the back right side of the tank is my DJ switch so i can turn stuff on and off without pulling a panel out.

I tested my spill saver this week. If you remember, I put a sheet of tileboard under the tank and siliconed around the edge where it met the stand. In theory that lets me flood something and it will stay inside the stand for 2 inches. Well, I caused a small flood. The water detecting screamer went off, my cat hit the ceiling, and I ran over to stop it. 5 soaked towels later and it was dry and WITHOUT hitting my laminate floor!

That screamer is worth every penny

I have worked with some industrial style velcro while working at the convention center building display boothes. That stuff was strong and I would imagine strong enough to hold on a wood panel. Tony that looks awesome. I would love to see it in person sometime. I made a spill over reservior in my stand as well except I just lined the inside of my stand with pond liner and it will hold water about 6 - 8 inches deep. You did very nice work and I am sure you are very proud of it.

Ahh, I see them now. Great work, Tony. That's what I'm thinking of doing to cover my steel stand. The whole panel is removed, correct, you didn't put any doors on it?

Any plans on how to better mount the light box?

Chris

Absolutely stunning. I love how smooth and glosy the finish is. Can you tell us how you applied it?

Very nice. I was planning on building a 5' x 3' x 18" tank very similar to what you have going on before reality took a nice bite out of my butt (and after reefing took a bite out of my wallet :(). Looking good!

Looks great Tony. I am glad it is finally coming along for you.

You and me both Brandon! This has taken long enough, according to my motivation and my bride.

Olaggie01 - Glad to hear it on the frags. I went with magnets because I knew the panels weren't accurate enough to touch the entire surface and I was dealing with a metal stand, so it was simple. I ordered them from Rockler.com and they work perfectly. They just screwed into the panel. I need to put felt padding on the bottom of the panels so they slide on my floor easier. Correct, there are no doors. I just pop it off and slide it aside. I still do this about once/day so I can check the skimmer, but everything else is handled by the DJ switch. I've gone through alot of ideas about the light box mount. I got approval to mount it from the ceiling on high strength mono-filament, but I'd have to be so accurate it wouldn't be funny, so I scratched that. I think I'm going to make the "feet" out of black acrylic so it will keep the light from flooding into the diningroom. It would cover the entire front and back, but leave the sides open for ventilation. I considered making some wood feet to match, but it wouldn't solve my light problem.

Disbjohn - I'd like to try, but the lights are in the way so the shadowing would be off if I shove it aside to take the pic.

Extinguishfire - I hope that the3dwizard and I can setup a North Dallas tank tour in the near future. You're always welcome to come over anytime too. I am proud of it, as Duane Dennis should also be. All of the rock, 1/4 of the corals,1/4 the equipment, the tank, and the woodworking talent all came from him. My talent was being able to talk my wife into all of the above!

Marc - I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Varnish. I applied a minimum of 3 coats using foam brushes to every surface. I even applied an entire can to my garage floor on accident. That is some seriously sticky ****. The key is to slop it on, then run the entire length of the piece once or twice to even it out and remove any bubbles which aren't much of a problem with the sponge brush. 3 coats per side, per panel. Eventually it's thick enough you can't see the indentions for the wood grain.

AA - Almost... Having to jack with my insurance company isn't. They tried to tell me that I had to prove I put the subwoofer in a box by showing proof of purchase. I wanted to say "NO, you dumb so n' so, I just laid it on the back seat!"

Here are some pics I took tonight.
http://esfeld.no-ip.com:81/aqpics/cameratest.htm

Disclaimer: I'm still learning my camera, am not up to speed on white balance, my lights are set back too far, which gives me fits, and I didn't use a tripod. :D

I just checked out your gallery, and love it. Great stuff that will only get better with time. Keep up the good work.