AI Vega setting recommendations?

dport02

Premium Member
I have a 120 with 2 Vegas. I'm not seeing the coral growth I'd expect after a 2-3 months. I'm wondering if I don't have the whites high enough? My torches and hammers are GREAT when the whites are on, extend way out. But my acro and hydra are, at best, holding their place with little to no growth. 1 plate is doing ok, the other died. My chalice and encrusting are doing ok and growing but only a little bit. Lost 1/2 of my kryptonite candy cane but the other half looks great.

I think the max is 20% (had worried about burning them) on the Whites and it runs from 11:45 until 4:00 before starting a wind down. Blues (all 3 at varying levels) come on at 6:45 and off at 7:45, wind down starts about 6:00.

Lights are on a rail in the top of my canopy and thus are about 8" off the surface of the water.

Tank is 48x24x24.

All advice is welcomed and appreciated.

I have had Vegas for 3 years; my tank is 42 inches deep and I keep the lights 12 inches from the water.

I keep blues at 65% whites at 10%, red and green at 5%

This lights at your tank may be too close to the water, try bringing your settings down maybe use the one month acclimation feature and look at your corals each day see how they react and leave it at where you see everything happy.

Less light is better than too much light.

You may want to consider getting / borrowing a par meter so you are not playing with your setting this way you know for sure what par is hitting your corals and adjust from there.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the response. I did use the acclimation feature for a period of 4 weeks when I put them on the tank. I can't raise them any higher because of my canopy. I'll try raising my blues and leave the whites where they are. My red and green are both maxed out at 5% I believe. (heard that can cause algae)

@urbanreef wrote:

Algae loves red; that is what I keep them down.

I have an apex and I have consider for a long time getting their par meter; I got some good reviews on it for led lights so waiting for that.

Vegas are very strong raising settings should be done carefully at the LFS they keep Vegas 20 to 30 inches over the 24 inches tanks.

Try calling exotic aquatics in Plano they have Vegas on their tanks and they corals look awesome; they should give you good feedback on what they use

Happy reefing!