Advice on out of tank skimmer

Eckolancer

Membership Expired
I have a very small area in my sump to work with for a skimmer. I would like to get some more space in there by placing sump outside of the sump. Right now I have a HOB corallife 125 it has worked great but I think it is time to upgrade to a better skimmer now. I have heard great things about Octopus skimmers and would like to try one out but dont think they make one that would be for out side of a sump. I am open to anything that will work great with a med high load in the tank. In sump I really only have 5" wide by 8" deep and tall really maybe up to 30". I could maybe use a tear out one wall on my sump (20 gallon High which is max size I could find to fit in my corner tank) then I could fit any skimmer I would like But I do like that I have 3 chambers in the sump right now. First one water comes in and is skimmed then flows into an area where macro grows with a lot of rock. Then to the return area. Now if I take out the first chamber would that effect any thing as far as efficiency of using a sump? any all comments good or bad are welcome :)

Reef octopus makes a HOB skimmer. You could get a new tank for sump and redesign it to accommodate a in sump skimmer. My old tank I ha a 20 long and had a HOB skimmer but it sat inside then flowed through a fugue then return.

Not sure how good the HOB octopus works. I may just have to try and figure out how to remove the silicone from my tank. I cant put a new tank in the bottom right now as I have to remove the back wall that is unaccessible right now since it is a corner tank. Anyone have an idea how to remove a baffle with out removing the tank which is in a small space. The Baffle is mad of some thin plexi glass and not sure if I could some how just cut it out, or what to use to cut it out. Even if I cut it out I would still have the bottom with some silicone that would need to be removed for a level working surface.

I would get a big skimmer that you can run in or out of the sump. that way if you get a bigger setup later or change config, you can place it in the fuge.