Adding DSB to Cycled Tank with Livestock

Malefactor

Membership Expired
So, if i go from a very light sand bed to a DSB with dry sand or live sand. Would it cause a mini cycle or just propagate slowly and become live with no problems? Or, should i just a little bit at a time and let each piece cycle over several months to not stress out the fish / coral ect? I didn't have enough sand to start with a DSB when i set the system up, but just got 150 pounds of sand to finish it off.

Thought id already posted this but didnt see it. Wanted to see what the best method of doing this is.

Ive currently only got about half an inch of sand in my tank. Have 2 clowns and a Hippo tang, anemone and 2 brain coral frags. Have. 2 turbo snail, 2 mithril crabs and 2 hermit crabs. Tank has been set and established few months now. Im about to get 150 pounds of Flormax black oolite reef sand. So, i plan on putting this in to get a DSB. I definitely want a good DSB. Not sure 150 pounds will get me 3-4 inches in a 6ft by 18inch tank, but hoping thats enough.

What im wondering is with this sand being "live" sand (i doubt its actually live, but has something in it), if i should only add 10 pounds of sand a week, all at once or pre cure it to add without a mini cycle that will hurt the tank.

You should be alright adding 10-20 pounds a week. I add 20 lbs to my 120 about once a year with no problem, and have never had a mini cycle or any issues.

Best way is to turn your pumps off, submerge the bag fully under water, cut it open under water, and then get the opening of the bag as close to the bottom as you can before slowly pouring it onto your existing sand bed. Try to get the new sand formed how you want it and let it settle a few minutes before you turn the pumps back on. It will surprisingly make a small mess in your tank. Only tough part is finding the little water clearing solution packet that is often buried in the bag of sand somewhere. The packet does help in clearing the water, as mine usually is fully cleared up within an hour.

Good luck!

Don't add more than 1/2" of sand per week. http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/57-How-to-add-sand-to-an-existing-reef-tank

Ahhh, ty. I was half asleep and looking over things on a cell phone. Not the best way to find things you're specifically looking for *lol* and Thank you for the information, will definitely do it that way Marc

Hey marc i know this is off topic but in the comments on the link it talked about doing a write up on changing substrate did you ever do that. I used bahama oolite and crushed coral, the crushed cora ended up on top and i really dont like it. Should i sift out crushed coral and add more sand, or take out all and start new.

I would sift it out. Larger pieces / lighter will always end up on top. So the crushed coral will always eventually make it's way up. Should be able to sift it off the top and still have the sand all the fauna that's living in it still in the bottom.

That's why planted tanks for freshwater do good with the black diamond blasting sand on top of mineralized top soil. The soil is lighter / smaller and settles. You could put the black diamond in first and it'll always eventually make it's way to the top. I've actually stirred mine up and just mixed the two together and within a week or two, it's all back to the top.

I wanted to ask the same question regarding a small nano tank. I just picked up an established bare bottom IM 25g lagoon tank. I want a sand bottom and was wondering the best type of sand and the proper procedure to add the sand to an established nano tank. Since the tank is shallow and I want a lot of movement I do not want a fine sand and was leaning towards the CaribSea Special Grade Reef sand for its larger size. Also, what is the recommended sand bed depth for this shallow lagoon tank? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike