Adding cured live rock....

[I have my tank setup and it is completely cycled but I really need to add more rock. I have only been purchasing cured live rock so far...

my question is. since I now have a running tank.. can I add cured live rock without QT it? or should I QT for the always mentioned 3 weeks??]

[Absolutly cure it...! During transport, you will have some die-off and you don't want to put that into your already running tank...not to mention...most rock is just sprayed with salt water untill it is shipped....hardly the same as curing it the right way...

If you get your rock and it doesn't have a awful smell comming off it...your right it is probally cured....although...just to be safe for your reef inhabitants...you should ALWAYS cure or QT anything before you go sticking it in your tank.]

[It will go in the QT then.. I buy all my rock from fish stores so its generally cured.. I have yet to order any rock online yet.]

[I have never had to cure LR. I always bought cured, and got it into my tank within the hour. If it smells and looks clean, it is safe to add.

I used to add a piece of LR as I could afford it to my 29g, early in the hobby. At $7.99, it took me a while to get all the rock I needed. Fortunately, 75lbs ended up being plenty. :D]

[Just check the piece yourself, smell it all over. Have them wrap it in wet newspaper and bag it. They should pour water over the wet-wrapped rock. Bring it home quickly, keeping it from getting cooked in the sunlight pouring into your car, and add it directly to your tank.

If you want to avoid any sponge die-off issues, bring a bucket and lid and have them put it in your bucket and top it off with water from the store. Drive home a little more slowly. :Oo:]

[Given that your tank is cycled and is big enugh (at least 70 gal) you can add cured rock in small amounts directly to your tank. Do it all the time.]

[Uncured smells awful, very similar to a backed up sewer line. Yes, naaasty.

Cured should smell clean like the ocean, fresh and salty. An no bad odor to make you wince.]