Activated Carbon

What is the best bang for my buck in activated carbon? I see there is alot of options out there and I know about the kent carbon problem. Im going to be treating with flat worm exit very soon and i want to have every thing prepped and ready, and want to make sure I have the correct carbon for the job.

If you buy the tests that the BRS guys did, then rox is the way to go. Who really knows though? I use rox too but mainly because it has very low dust so just a quick rinse is all you need.

Use a reactor filter with a small micron pre-filter to get the most out of carbon of any brand.

I use to use diamond activated carbon. I now just use whatever members sell on the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any of the BR carbon will do you well. The ROX is nice stuff, but not easy on the pocket book, their lower grade is fine for our purposes. I'd keep some ROX on hand for an emergency since its capacity is so much more, but for every day 24/7 use, go with a lower grade in a reactor.

I use a pelletized coal based activated carbon in a paint strainer in an Aquaclear 70. It has very little dust, and does not clog like granular would. Here is a little information that I gathered:

It has the medium and large sized pores that are needed for aquarium use for removing odor, color, and chemicals, and it is low in soluble ash, while lignite based activated carbon is high in soluble ash. It is also much harder than lignite based activated carbon, so will hold together better than lignite based activated carbon.

Coal based activated carbon originates from coal that has undergone steam activation process to create its activated carbon form. During activation, it creates millions of pores at the surface of the carbon thus increasing the total surface area. Activated carbon pores can be divided into three general sizes Micro-pores (diameter in the range of less than 2 nm), Meso-pores (diameter in the range of 2 -- 25 nm), and Macro-pores (diameter in the range of above 25 nm). Coal based carbon has mainly meso-pores and macro-pores and due to its unique distribution of pores diameter, coal based activated carbon are very popular in the gas phase purification, potable water purification industries, waste water purification industries and aquarium/pond water purification industries.

David