About to buy a chiller! Have questions!

To all of you guys that are currently running a chiller, I have several questions.

I just recently moved my tank, and it looks as if I will need a chiller. :evil: I am looking at buying one, but have no experience with them. It will be going on a 125 gallon reef, with a 30 gallon sump/fuge. So now for the questions.

1. What size chiller (h/p) should I be looking at?

2. Anyone have suggestions on brand names, etc.?

3. Also, I do not have any kind of controller, will I need one to control the temp, and the functionality of the chiller?

4. Has anyone bought one online, and where did you get it from?

5. To save money, should I buy a used one, or buy new to get the warranty?

Thanks for all your help. Any suggestions, or comments would be much appreciated. :lol:

1. What size chiller (h/p) should I be looking at?

1/5 - 1/4 HP IMHO. I've got a 1/5 HP Arctica on my ~300 gallon system, but I use fans and evaporative cooling as my primary means of temperature drawdown, with the chiller just as a backup.

2. Anyone have suggestions on brand names, etc.?

I've personally been fond of my Arctica. They're relatively cheap, built in controller, and not hideously ugly if you have to place the chiller where it will be visible.

3. Also, I do not have any kind of controller, will I need one to control the temp, and the functionality of the chiller?

Depends on the chiller. Some have built in controllers, some require an external controller of some sort.

4. Has anyone bought one online, and where did you get it from?

-Bought mine used. I seem to recall seeing the Arctica line on sale at either Marine Depot or Dr.s Foster Smith.

5. To save money, should I buy a used one, or buy new to get the warranty?

Personal decision. I bought mine used on this forum, but it was also a very good deal. That was... 2 years ago? I think... But, as I said, that's very much a call you'll have to decide on for yourself...

I have a 1/3 JBJ Arctica chiller on my 120. I love it! Quite & efficient, with built in controller. Price? depends on how much you were looking to spend. every once in a while you'll find them for sale.