A. florida with orange tips

Hey all,
I like to share a picture of this sps that is becoming one of my favorite. I initially bought this coral from PhishyBusiness because I wanted an yellow color Acro for my tank. It was doing just so so for a while - then late last year it started to do better - color has improved to nice green (not really what I hope)..but then, the tips are changing to bright orange. IN the last week I'm excited to see multiple growing point on this coral. I thought wow and I had to take a picture. The growth rate of this sps is comparable to the green slimer. But I like this one alot of better for the bright orange tips that look so much nicer in person under light.
Hope you like it too. Peter

A_florida_2.jpg
alt="">

Well, I'll say it one more time, wow. Best tank in DFW.

I need to stop over again and pick up some frags. Looks like it'll be Feb before I can head over though, I'll pm you when it gets closer to that time.

Chris

Thank you Chris and Matt.

Chris - You don't have to say that I have the best tank. You bought several frags last time and I appreciate your support to my addiction. You are welcome to come to pickup up some frags, just let me know. Thank you anyway for your kind words.

Another great coral, Peter; you're obviously doing something right. What is your current lighting setup? My corals all seem to darken and turn green under my 400w 20000k coralvue bulb but you have that light blue/purple coral next to the a. florida that seems to be flourishing.

Beautiful coral Peter. Remember me when you decide to frag. :D It would be a welcome addition now that my red bug problem is under control.

Peter, anything that I can do to help another person get pulled farther into this addition is fine with me.

And that goes for anyone who is selling nice SPS, Chris, Kevin, Marc, Matt and Jason, I need to come buy and pick out some frags sometime.

Chris

Kevin and Peter are pretty much one-stop-shopping-spots. I just wish those guys were closer to my reef, er, home. :D

I'm sure you mean the other Kevin (chvytrks), not me! :D Why, I went shopping at Kevin's house just a couple of weeks ago..really nice stuff and his tank inspired me to do some changes to my own.

Granted, I do have a few nice pieces that are need of fragging quite soon. :wink:

Hey Chris, I am using 2 x 250 watt DE AB 10K bulbs + 1 x 150 watt DE AB 20K as the main light. These bulbs are 2 year 4 month old now. Per Aqua-Medic website, "in two years time, these bulbs lose less than 25% of their total output without a dramatic shift in color." From what I can see, the bulbs are very bright and the sps usually started to color up in a week. I hope to use these for 3 years before having to replace them, and save the money to buy more corals.

Hey Peter, I've never seen you tank in person being that I'm fairly new the the area, but the pictures you post never cease to amaze me. Your corals give us all something to strive for. I'm even more excited now that I see your lighting setup. I'm planning on 3 x 250W DE AB bulbs and 320W of T5 actinics and blue+ for my new tank. :) As always, thanks for sharing!

Thank you Jeremy for the compliment. For sps growth, I prefer 10K color temperature and sps seem to grow better under 10K. 20K looks good to the eye but lack the intensity sps needs to grow well.

I think you already have T5 to supplement the color. Since I'm using Aquaspace light fixture and open top, I don't have a way to add T5 bulb. AquaMedic solution to supplementing blue light is the 20K 150 watt in the middle. If I have a choice I would put in 10K in the middle and add T5 light. But as is I'm satisfied with the color I see in my tank.

Peter,

I too have a frag of A Florida. That will be the COOLEST looking coral once it grows out. They have a really great branching pattern with thick upright or prostrate branches covered with short, stubby sub-branches. The main branches can fuse while some of the coralilites can become tabular over the whole colony. Definetly one of the neatest corals once it grows up!

An update photo to the orange tips A. florida This one has green slimer on the right for comparison. There seems to be good growth since the last photo taken in January.

orangetips.jpg
alt="">