A cheaper electronic thermostat - Half price is better, right?

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[While shopping at Walmart yesterday, I came across several digital thermometers. Noting that they were cheaper than the aquarium equivalents, I looked them over pretty closely. The cheapest one for $9.96 said "waterproof" and had a 10' cord, plus it was battery operated. So I dashed home and ripped open the package to find that the instructions said it could be used outdoors, but keep it out of rain!!!! What happened to "waterproof"? My son wisely felt that saltwater might be too caustic as well, so I grabbed an old test tube from the garage, filled it up with some blue rock (fresh water substrate) inserted the probe and filled it up with silicone.

Ideally, I'd have preferred clear, but all I had was white. So be it. The digital thermometer is the smaller of the two displays. The taller one is my pH meter. $10 DIY. :p

sealed_thermostat.jpg
alt="">

electronic_thermometer.jpg
alt="">]

[Have you checked it for accuracy? Im wondering if there isnt some loss or gain in temp with it just sitting in the test tube. I was also thinking about doing this a while back, but never got around to it....cs]

[I have a glass thermometer in my tank, and can compare that way, but you know one is digital and one is not. As far as my calibrated eye can tell, they match perfectly. :D]

[Thanks Bill,

Just healing as time allows.

Btw, that is my monitor. :laugh:]