90g conversion

steelcaveman

Premium Member
Seahorses have outgrown the Neo Nano.
Solution - buy a Neo 90g tank!
I like the dimensions of the tank and overall quality relative to price.
Dislikes - overflow box is cheap, silicone is clear instead of black, both holes for overflow are 1".
Plan is to get an overflow box cover in blue, then paint the back and bottom of the tank in matching blue.
Due to the feeding regimen of seahorses and non photosynthetic corals, going bare bottom.
For flow I am undecided. I really liked the Tunze wavebox, but the seahorses really didn't.
I am hearing that the Vortech MP10 may be the best way to go for the combination of seahorses and corals.
My past experience with Vortech's was not favorable.
I may need to find a member willing to part with theirs for a few hours so I can see how it performs on my tank.

Stand should be done next weekend!

Sweet. So are you replacing your current tank or adding this one to the system? Where is it going to sit?

@Hoss wrote:
Sweet. So are you replacing your current tank or adding this one to the system? Where is it going to sit? said:
Thinking of putting the 90g where the Nano is and putting the Nano in the entry way.
Maybe convert the nano to for the kids. Nemo, mini Dori,,,,

The wife doesn't know about the tank in the garage yet.
First challenges first.
I don't think she would have the same reaction as I would, "happy ten year anniversary!"

Haha....well assuming you do get to keep it..lol, if you need any help moving it around, shoot me a message...I'm still right down the street.

After attempts to get a blue acrylic cover for the overflow box were not progressing, went to Walmart and picked up some Krylon Fusion spray paint for the overflow box - back glass and bottom.
One week to fully cure. It will be tough waiting to add water.

Progressing slowly.
Found some nice live rock from a tank tear down, got a few new pumps, finished up the blue paint, & mapped out the future tank site.

One technique I use sometimes is put the small rocks on the bottom to prop up the big pieces. The bigger pieces allow for bigger swimming openings. If you need some help let me know.

@steelcaveman wrote:
Tonight I starting playing with my rocks. This is half the rock I have to work with! said:
wow, half?! that is enough right there! good luck with it, this is always the hardest and the most fun.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!
I put some pond liner in the base of the stand.
The stand was designed to allow for easy installation of the pond liner, Yeah!!!!
The pull away magnetic doors are very nice. It makes climbing under the stand to install plumbing a much easier chore.
I put silicon in a few spots on the bottom of the tank to provide some grip for live rock - so it wont slip on the bare bottom.
I am waiting for my water filter to make more water.

Just wondering why you ran the return hose through the back of the stand and back in?
was it to make things more clean when the sump is in?

and what kind of return pump are you using? it looks like a maxi utility pump. (have you used one before and do you like them? i have always wondered)