65 gal peninsula rimless build (48x18x16)

Hi All,

After changing between big and small tanks then in and out the hobby, I am coming back with this new peninsula rimless tank (48"x18"16"). The reason I choose this tank size especially the high 16" is a cost of lighting (more depth more light). I am going to build one thing at a time as following orders; the stand, sump, LEDs lights, and others while waiting for the tank arrived. This is a tank from glasscages and they will have it delivered the end of April. So, here we go.

1) Stand build: the goal is light and strong without using 2x4 conventional way.
The dimension of the stand will be 48x18x32. This dimension will fit 65,75,and 90 gal footprint. All I need is a 4'x8' good plywood and some moldings. I got the home depot people cut the 4'x8' plywood into 3 of 48"x32" sections. This way, I can fit all pieces into my compact car. Two of 48"x32" pieces will be used as the front and back panels. The other 48"x32" piece will be used as the side panels (16"x32"). With the front, back, and molding attached on, I will be very close to 18" width. To take care of some pressure concerns, I am going to cut rectangular panels out of the front and back panels. Since I need two doors for the stand, I will cut a smaller rectangular piece from the front and larger rectangular piece from the back. The cut out piece from the back will be used for two doors. the cut out piece from the front will be used for support bars. Everything will be glued and screwed together into a final product.

great job on the wood work. this tank has the same foot print as mine
can't wait to see it come together

2) Sump build: the goal is using ATS and skimmer (in a future) in one sump. Also, I want a longer path for water to travel since I am going to use the mag24 (just replace a brand new impeller) as the return pump. I know this is too much but I don't have any other pump. Originally, I plan to have a separate rimless tank (36x12x8) for marine plants and pipefish; which will split the mag24 return pump into two display tanks. Unfortunately, I didn't have the space that I need for the time been. For now, I am using a 36x12x16 tank for the sump. The drain water from the main tank will go through ATS section. Then water will go through skimmer, bubble baffles, and then return sections. I don't plan to have a cheato in sump since I am going to use the marine plants as a part of display tank stockings. However, I can still can have some if I wanted to in a future.

3) LEDs build: originally, I plan to use 60 of 3w Cree LEDS because I already had 60 optics but when I saw the build thread about multichip LEDs on reefcentral's forum, I change my plan. I am going to use 10w LEDs instead. I bought 6 of them and a mean well eln-60-48p driver. Since my driver can only handle up to 4-5 10w LEDs max in series, I will try 4 bulbs first. If this is not bright enough then I can do two parallel strings of 3 bulbs. I bought a 48" coralife fixture with legs for this project so it can sit directly on top of my rimless display tank.

Rapidled.com has git some big papa drivers capable of handling some 48-60 leds. Might check it out.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

sorry for the delay, i got birthday party during the weekend. Anyway, here is the pictures. We'll see how it goes when i put on the tank later when it arrived. I might add a couple 10w or 20w to make it a little brighter. however, i like the look so far.

Sorry for a long delay... Everything is stablizing now. I got a few SPS in there and they are doing fine so far. I recently add the ATS (less than a week) with 4 LEDS bulbs. It's building up very very fast. Anyway, here are a few pics.

Thanks snakebyt,

I recently added 36 LEDs to the light and it was too much for the corals. so, i took out the 10watts LEDs and only leave 36 cree LEDs now. I also added LED to the ATS and sump. All the lights are now 100% LEDs; which i am very happy with. The corals are slowly coloring back. The fishes are doing great as well.