594 thread -New Skimmer, AC3 PRO! WOOT!-1-14-09 update

Well this is a little premature but i am going to be looking for volunteers to help me pick up my new tank. After much thought and consideration i have decided to upgrade my tank to allow more flexibility with my choices of livestock. While my 300 is awesome, i want more room for my tangs to be able to grow and i really want to do a different rock scheme. My current tank is 8 ft by 2 ft tall and 30 inches deep. I love the depth of the tank but i want more (go figure, never happy enough). I also wanted a little more height because when you factor a 6-7 inch dsb and 1-2 inches from the top, your only really looking at 18 inches of water.

So my solution...just order a 594! It has been orderd and against everyone else's opinions and comments on how bad of a company they are, i ordered from GC. My current tank is from GC and i could not be happier. So for all of you GC haters, his is one more thread you can watch for failure. :lol: I am hoping the fish gods keep my tank together.

The tank dimensions were going to be 130x30dx37tall which would have made the tank around 640 gallons, loved the idea but 130 was too long for the wall i wanted it on.

Funny thing is i only expected 120 inches but GC said, if you want, we can make it 130 for the same price..you choose!

I elected to go for the 120x37.5dx30.5 tall...can't wait to get a 3ft deep tank! I chose to have a center back wall overflow. The overflow will be 42 inches long and will have 3 1.5 drains and 3-1 inch returns...should be enough linear inche and circulation.

I am not conerned about the "silicone work" per say, but i am worried about the "customization on the overflow" as i know they sometimes get it wrong.

As far as customer service goes, they have been EXCELLENT (yes, i was suprised after what i read). They even called me on Saturday when the shop was closed to make sure they sent me the exact drawing/dimension i wanted. Of course i know they are looking for a sale, but i already told them i was going to buy. They also knocked off 200.00 off delivery because i told them i would have a few guys to help unload it.

So...as the world turns my 300 is sold and paid for, my tank is orderd, paid for and is being built.....now i just want feb 23 to be here so i can take this beast home.

Looking for volunteers...will provide beer and probably some pizza to those who help....one stipulation, cant drink beer till it is safe in my livingroom :twisted:

before i read anything above, i just had to state the obvious and answer you question....HECK NO! bigger is ALWAYS better...

btw...you so should have gone at least 570...you need to HAVE the biggest tank in the club, not be tied for biggest...

lol...but seriously...yea, totally crazy...210 - 300 - 560 in less than a year...yea...loopy...lol...and ill be there to help transition, doubt i would be any help moving, but i can tag along if you want...

CONGRATS! Maybe this time you will have it up long enough to be on a Tank Tour...

Count me in bro.. I'll have Michelob by the way since I am watching my weight for the wedding.. :wink:

What the heck do you do for a living? Independently wealthy? wow! I'm jealous!

I live in Hurst so if you need any help I'm minutes away from you.

Put me down as tentative - it's hard for me to commit that far out
try to get some suction cups and dollies - I know Tri has some suction cups but I'm not sure if he rents them out.

Congratulations! This sounds like a fun thing to do, so count me in. By the way, did you get the starfire glass? When is it arriving and how much do you want for your "OLD Tank"? :lol:

37 inch depth and then you put suction cups with handles on each side, which might mean you better have a double door someplace to get it into the house. Not sure that even a 42 inch opening will clear. Not to mention the men on each side of the suction cups!

Thanks for all of the help. I will have plenty of dollies and suction cups to make the trip as easy as possible.

Hahaha, no i am not independently wealthy, i just counted my pennies right and was able to do it. I am in sales and i work for AT&T, i am a Sr. Account Manager for Medical Hospitals. My main client is Baylor Health Care, so there are always growth opportunities.

I did not get the starfire glass for two reasons....1, i am not wealthy and it would have cost about 1500 more, and 2, i am completely fine with my tank and i really can not tell the difference (yes, i have seen starfire). From all of the research i have seen, it really makes a huge difference when you get over 1inch glass. We will see. I do see a green tint every now and then but it does not bother me (especially for the price of it).

WeMa, come to think of it, my tank is 1.5 inches deeper than Tri's is tall and .5 inches taller than his is deep. Based on the dimensions of 120x37.5x30.5, it shows that my tank is technically a 594.15 gallon tank.......Now, does that make it the biggest tank............MOVE OVER TRI, NOW THERE IS SOMETHING MORE BEEFIER! :lol:

Also, my 300 has already been sold, paid for and is waiting to be picked up. I will have to have this tank up and running, livestock and rock transfered in about 10 days. My tank is going to be delivered on the 23rd of Feb and my 300 is going to be picked up March 8th......So i have lots to do.

I am going to weld up a stand with 2x2x 1/8 or probably 3/16 square stock. The stand is still gonna be 40 inches high (like my current one), but i will gain about 6 inches of room under the stand since i currently used 2x6s as my top stringers.

My goal is to have the tank go from floor to celing with a false canopy, we will see how it goes.

I am looking for a sump/design that i like so i can get started on it as well. I am thinking 100g rubbermaid with liverock since i am not going to have as much rock in this tank (so i say). the nice thing is the depth will allow a lot more flexibility in my undertank choices.

Lighting will be 4 large lumabright reflectors/coralvue ballast/reeflux 12k bulbs 250w hung from the celings with ballasts on a shelf above as well (to free up stand space).

Flow will come from 4 tunze 6100s on a 7905 multicontroller

Return pump will be a sequence dart

MRC dual chamber Calcium Reactor

PM Kalkwasser Reactor

Aqua C Carbon Reactor

All of the reactors will be plumbed in on a manifold system with independent valves to control the flow. I will use the return pump as the drivers since i should have enough flow.

As always, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

And i am also going to attempt a false back wall to cover the overflow and on big azz arch in the tank using the quickwall modified crete and oyster mix. From all of my readings, you dont have to cure it because it does not leach PH like regular cement. Since it is a modified mix, it flash cures and releases/leaches the ph out and you can fill your tank in one day......it will be removable so if i have problems i can take it out.

and of course, there will be tons of pics.

LOL I work for AT&T too...
Just figured out your sign in name was your AT&T USID .. lol

mine is MS9628

Wish I could help .. I want a big tank too.. wif said I can have one when I build a bigger house.

I know somebody picking up his 120 rimless starphire that same day 8)

Do you have a trailer ?

I don't drink so you need some diet coke if you want my help.

BTW come to my house and let me show you my green clam that looks maroon thru the 1/4" green glass . It's the only thing that really pushed me for clear glass, heck even my blue clam loses most of it's shimmer but $1500 option for yours would be alot for a few clams. It was only $184 for my tank.

True, but i think i am somewhat color blind anyway :lol: I think i am going to get a uhaul since i dont want to worry about rock chips or anything like that on an open trailer. Also if i get a u-haul, it will be as easy as sliding the tank out of thier box truck into the u-haul, piece of cake. I am also considering building a dolley that fits under the stand that will allow it to roll on grass. This will allow us to slide the tank out of the u-haul, directly to the stand. The stand will be 40 inches tall, with dollies it will be probably 48-50 inches tall and the uhaul truck bed is 48....almost perfect. Once on the dollies, we should be able to roll it all the way into the house without a problem. Once in the house we should be able to slide the dolly out from under the tank. If i get the u-haul, you can put your tank in it as well.

"True, but i think i am somewhat color blind anyway"

I'll sell you some nice holy roc- ahem, i mean live rock for $6 lb =P

send out a reminder incase i can help! (i have a bad back... but can at least keep the beer cold for everyone =)

@dp1416 wrote:
Need some diet coke in phyto bottles too , I mean 2 liter bottles.

I assume you will want to get it as early as possible ? I know I do. And will help with your tank as well. Mine should fit in the back of my truck and I can just follow you to your place.

yeah, i will want to try to be there early and i suspect they will want it off the truck as well. As the days near, i will talk with them about pick up .