560 gal update 8/16/2007 with pics

basically a pump will draw water from your sump down a drain while and another pump will draw the exact same amount from a pre mixed container of saltwater back into your tank. you set the daily amount you want.

mine should be finished this weekend, i will take pictures for you, i plan on chaning 7 gallons a day automatically and premixing salt every 2 weeks.

if you go to this pdf document on the top left of page 9 under water exchange module, it shows you a diagram

http://www.spectrapure.com/manuals/LiterMeter3f.pdf

there are other types of pumps that do this cheaper but they are kind of loud, randal holmes farley does this and uses a reef filler which is cheaper but noiser and wrote an article about continuous automatic water change here:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

Nice info on continuous water changes. A litermeter must now be ordered. Another $3-400 into the hobby...

Is changing water really that difficult? If it is i would rethink your current system before dropping serious bucks. I know i wouldn't drop several hundred to do continuous changing. It takes me less then 30 minutes a month to do 2 water changes of roughly 15% total volume.

@kwl1763 wrote:
Is changing water really that difficult? If it is i would rethink your current system before dropping serious bucks. I know i wouldn't drop several hundred to do continuous changing. It takes me less then 30 minutes a month to do 2 water changes of roughly 15% total volume. said:
The planned was to not do water changes all the time do to sheer volume. That is why we have a 12" deep sand bed in the refugium (this is what you suggest in the past and we took you advice :D ) and a denitrator that would also help reduce nitrates. Don't get us wrong Keith but we do put a lot of serious time and effort in the 560. The cost of doing a water change twice a month is only $35.00 for the salt.

Believe me I understand better then most! It looks to me like you guys have a fairly easy changing system down though.

I mean I go through salt like crazy. Over a bucket a month but it doesn't take much time or effort. I'm lucky enough to have a fish room though where I have room to always have a 100G trough of saltwater always made and just sitting there ready to go.

I agree with your methods of nitrate reduction. I'm simply commenting on the continous change theory. I'm just don't see the benefits of it unless it is the only way to make you do water changes. In other words if your so busy/lazy/whatever that you goe months in between changes then maybe but if that's the case you probably have bigger issues. This is obviously not directed at you Tri, just at the continuous water change proponents.

last pic is of the ORA tort that Tri won a couple of months back when ORA showed up to one of the meetings. It was a little stick that is now grown into a nice small colony.

So it begins. I have been having thought about selling the 560 gal tank. Maybe I have spent way too much time, energy, and money. It's time for me to sell the tank. I will start selling all the equipment and junk that have been sitting in my garage.

Not sure what I will be asking for the 560 but I will put a list up to see what the grand total is.

I can only imagine the line of people or the pm's your getting on stuff . And everyone thought the line at DNA's sale was long .... so do we start camping out infront of your yard yet .

Sorry to see you break it down but totally understand.

Why? What is the main reason for taking it down? Space? Cost? Disease?

@Marc wrote:
Why? What is the main reason for taking it down? Space? Cost? Disease? said:
Marc, there is no reason behind it. There is no disease, cost is not an issue, space: it's fine where it is. Just done with the hobby.

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't be a stranger though.