560 gal update 8/16/2007 with pics

tri, is it reef ready? That is a sweet deal! I may not be able to help this weekend. I will have to see if the boss has other stuff going on.
-Chuck

Not sure if this tank is reef ready or not. I understand that the glass is 3/4 or 1 in thick. :shock:

I am hoping to move this in the morning but will try to coordinate this with everyone schedule.

I sent an email with questions on this beast just out of curiosity, and here is what i got in return:
[
Hi Landon,

The aquarium alone measures 10' x 2' x 3' The whole display measures about 11' x 3' x 6.5'

Yes tank is reef ready...
Salt water in it now
Comes with the setup. It has lighting, but I am not sure which kind...
Tons...Very heavy, thick glass...]

Sounds like you got a sweet deal, but that thing is a beast. I was interested, but dont know how I wouldve gotten it in the house. Good luck! I would love to help, but will be out of town most of the weekend.

It might make it easier to find some helpers if you let us know where you are picking it up from and where you are taling it.

Richard - Looks like it's going from Argyle to Keller...

Tri - I wish I could help, but I'm oncall this weekend... :(

Have you considered calling any LFS to see if they'll let you borrow/rent any of their tank moving equipment? I know Boutique has a tank moving trolley thingy and some suction cups with handles that make moving monster tanks easier... No clue if they'd be willing to lend or lease 'em out, but couldn't hurt to ask...

Oh, and don't go TOO overboard on the Tangs! Even in this monster!! And, keep in mind, don't add 'em too soon, with this much of a tank going in, you're gonna have some growing pains at first, I'd hold off on any extra livestock until everything's in and stabilized...

Anyway, sorry to get on my soapbox... Congrats on getting my dream tank!

Wow! Beautiful tank. Somebody is going to have a broke back. I'd hate to speculate how much that tank must weigh. I bet it would take at least 6-8 people to move that thing.

Angela

My wife will be happy you jumped on that before I did...and to think I was actually convincing her it was worth it!

Good luck with it...wish I could help but I will be out of town.

Just got back from looking at the tank, my brother and I were able to transport the canopy only. We tried to push the tank forward to see if we could lift it up, it wouldn't budge. I am exhausted from moving the canopy.

The whole setup is about 11 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 6.5 feet high. Tank also came with dual overflow, pumps, two 48 in coralife pc, sump, lots and lots of sand.

I have plans to pickup the live sand tommorow and then do all the heavy duty moving on Sunday around 2:00 PM. If anyone can help, please let me know.

Tony, I bet your wife would have love the tank. She could even go swimming in the tank.

Scott, I sent you a pm with the time. PM me if you are busy Sunday.

Gahhh- Wow

I tried to move a 280 DAS tank with 4 guys and about died. Would love to help but i'm a ways away.

PS if you guys REALLY need help I could probably do it. But i'm two hours away =-)

I could probably help when you get to Keller. I'll be at my brothers at the edge of southlake and keller most of the day, so I could take off for a few hours. I also could bring dollys, blankets. I set up Conventions for a living and always have to move gigantic displays.

I was involved in moving Scott Comstock's 700 gallon tank and that was a huge job. He made these huge dollies that we transported both the tank and stand on from inside to outside. The stand was a metal framed stand so we could jack it up with car jacks then put the dollies under it. Then outside we used 4 engine hoists to pick tank up off of stand and lower down onto trailer. You are going to need some serious man power to move that tank. And it looks like with that stand you have to slide the tank out the back of the stand to get it off of stand. I think you are going to need some type of cart and dollies to move that. The weight could be similar to the weight of a car.

After taking a look at the tank again, it doesn't look like I am able to get enough volunteer to move the tank. I have also plan to hired 6 movers for 4 hours. I am not sure if I can organized this as quickly as possible. I'll have to see what happens.

The problems in moving the tank is, we have to move it to the backyard where there no concrete.

I will keep you up to date as I am trying to get everything together.

Tri, when we moved my tank, we used 6 to 8 people. The glass is 1/2" thick on my tank, although the base may be 3/4" for all I know. I think you're going to need 10 people, if not 20. 10 to move it to the vehicle, and a fresh 10 to unload it. The group I had sure didn't want to take out of the truck when we got to my house, and I don't blame 'em. heh

Have lots of drinking water on hand, as that seemed to recharge the muscles at one point. Have towels on hand, because the salt creep makes the tank slippery. You may need to wipe it down and towel dry it well to get a good hand-hold.

Dollies would be best. Waist-level dollies would be even better, so it doesn't have to lifted / lowered but rather can be slid. That is one heck of a task. I have to work tonight and tmorrow night, so I'm not available unfortunately.

So far, everything is on track as for picking up the tank at 2:00 PM Sunday. We should have a total of 9 movers when we are picking up and total of 11 to 12 when unloading.

It would be great if we can get more to help move. Looking at the tank, I think it is a 3/4 in glass. After taking the sand out of the tank, we were able to push the tank back and forward with 3. I am thinking that we will have three heavy movers each at both end, one on each side in the middle.

As for dollies, where can I find one that will roll on grass? I think the initial loading will be the most difficult. Unloading will be the easy since we will move the trailer up to the door and move it 15 to 25 feet to the wall.

Also, I recalculated the volume size of the tank. It is not 525 gals, it's actually 450 gals. :p