4am disaster!  but i happened to be there! - My timing couldn't have been better.....

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[I was doing the old flashlight duty over here when Reef Central went into back-up mode again , and has just inspected everything in my 29g. Always like looking in the nooks and crannies, see what the SPS are doing in the dark, etc....

All was well.

Decided to study the refugium, do my B-Ionic topoff etc. Suddenly I heard a waterfall sound, and it wasn't stopping. I thought it was the overflow box from my 55g making noise, but no.... that sound was definitely coming from my 29g. I leaped up on the sofa to see behind the tank, but nothing looked wrong. Flipping open my canopy lid, I see a gyser shooting straight up into my PCs!!!!

Thank God it was 4am, and they were turned off. Quickly unplugging my Remora skimmer, I stopped the fountain. What happened was my MaxiJet 1200 blew loose from the tubing it was connected to (to the Remora). I thought the LR would prevent the pump from working its way down too much, and it wouldn't come loose. Needless to say, I replaced the current tubing with one that is 3 times longer, and firmly connected it.

Dried off my lights very well, giving them the hair dryer treatment as well until everything was bone dry again. Still I was a tad nervous to let the lights turn back on 6 hours later.

Fortunately I was up and next to the tank when it happened. (sighing with relief!) Around 11:30am, the lights came on without any problem, and the tank looked fine. I got really lucky this time.]