36x24x17 Custom tank input

@JasonJones wrote:
Here are my thoughts. *stuff about my tank plans* said:
Well I really wanted a Calfo overflow but was worried that Tom couldn't make one. I dug around and found several folks talking about him making some, so I think I'll go ahead and upgrade! :D Though I wonder - if he doesn't drill the teeth on glass overflows, will his Calfo-style overflow be more of a weir? Will I have to put acrylic over it? I guess these are questions for Tom...

Jason, you know me, of course it's going to be top down :)

If I go with the Calfo, should it run across the length of the tank or should it be confined to a particular area? I suppose it must be confined if I put return pipes/Tunzes/wavemakers/whatever on the ends....

An Oceans Motion would be cool but that's lot of holes to put in a small glass tank... probably too many for me to be comfortable. I'm eyeballing the Wavy Seas pretty hard - it's pretty cool - but it must be BRAND spankin' new because searching for it turns up almost no hits on RC. Anyone know Anthony's contact info? Paging Mr. Patrick....

I'm debating whether or not I should buy Quantam's L3, but I couldn't put two of them over the tank, and as my 3d models indicate I'm a little picky. Since I already have 1 L3 Mini, I'll probably transfer that over and use 1 at first and then upgrade to a second one. They're only 14.5" square, which is a big difference from the 19.5" of the full-size L3. If I had a tad bit more room I would go for a bigger tank, but the space I'm working with is pretty much going to nix that. None of that will matter, however, if Tim Apple tells me I can't drop an outlet where I want the tank to go....

The funniest thing about the man purse is that I have a yellow Nautica bag (ancient! 5 or so years) just like it...

:wink:

@tesfield wrote:
Nathan said:
Well, like I told you, your tank is a big inspiration for mine. Work is kind of hammering me this week (I probably have to go back up to the office after I hit the gym ) but I'll see if I can't block out some time. When are you leaving? Shoot me an email, I'd love to see your setup!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. My little nanos have required so much less thought and pre-planning! I really, really, really want to do this right - but I'm sure you couldn't tell that, right? :D :shock:

Nathan,

That looks a lot like my dream tank I had custom built a few years ago and still haven't set up yet (a long story). It's 36x36x18, kind of a half-cube. I was going to light it with a single 400w mh pendant and the overflow was a single one centered in the back. It was supposed to be an open top design for sps and clams but the poor thing is still sitting in my garage. Oh, and I had an open framework black iron stand built to go with it.

Good luck with yours, it should be neat.

While the WavySeas device is cool. It looks like a SeaSwirl. Only advantage I see is 360 coverage and variable rate. You get 180 coverage from my SeaSwirl by putting a Y adapter on the output.

The other interesting thing, and actually has my curiousity peaked, is the powerhead adapter. From the looks of it you just mount the powerhead on the swiveling piece and it move the ph back and fourth. Would be good until the closed loop got rebuilt. Need more study. The videos are cool but I wonder how big is the tank, how big was the running pump, etc.

As for concern about having another pump on this new tank. What about hooking your retunr from the sump into the WavySeas. No need for another pump or additional drilling.

Like the tank design. I am most interested in how this plays out, since I hop to be putting a new tank later this year.

Nathan,
I found one of the threads that I was referring to earlier in your post. About a third of the way down

It it's the best explanation but it should get you started.

About a third of the way down.

Chris

Thanks for the link Chris. I think I'm going to go with a Calfo overflow, so I'm not sure it will be applicable. I'm going to try to post a new drawing this evening or tomorrow for final input before going to the builder.

OK, looking for some input.

With 2 1" drains, is a 1.5" return oversized? What would be appropriate? I'll probably be pushing 600-700 gph from an Eheim 1262 for reference.

I dare say it but I think I'm going to put sand in this tank. I saw some Potter's Leopard Wrasses at Fish Gallery and think I might like to build an SPS tank around them.

Your design should work perfectly and I think a 1.5" return is approriate.

Since it's custom can you have them build the overflow on the back (external) or will that mess up your stand and area? I had 2 big slots cut in my new tank with an overflow on the back to give the tank a super clean look!

I think a 1 1/2" is overkill for 600-700gph, you dont need more then 3/4" for that, but I would go with 1" to be safe. Although 1 1/2" wouldnt hurt anything, just bulkier

I really like the way it is looking. I still havent decided if it would look better with the overflow all the way across, just for uniformity, as opposed to leaving six inches open on either side. I think if I was not going to go all the way across, I would keep it to 18" so it is atleast proportional to the amount that does not have an overflow.

Sounds like you are almost ready.

@JasonJones wrote:
I think a 1 1/2" is overkill for 600-700gph said:
OK I'll downsize the return to 1". I actually meant for the Calfo to be 18" (the CAD drawings were drawn on Friday - they're at 18") but left my SU model at home, so I had to fiddle with the one I had here at work during my lunch break. It really should be 18".

I think I may cut out the low-iron glass, it would reduce the cost on the tank by 25% and I have some unforeseen bills looming in the near future.

I agree with the loss of low iron, if you are building a top down tank, I dont see being able to justify the expense of low iron glass for side viewing...

Sounds good with the overflow. I am ready to see this thing in action.

Is there a reason you want the return so far down in the tank?

I would leave it 1.5" While it is overkill big deal. What if you want to put a 1500GPH pump on there some day? You can always underdrive but never overdrive!

I'm an overplanner now but I try to keep the holes as high as possible. If a bulkhead or pipe leaks your in trouble with one that far down. Note a huge issue but unless there is a specific reason I'd move it up higher.

No external overflow option? It would be on the on the non-viewable side.

Totally agree to ditch the low iron. On a tank that small it will not be noticable.

@kwl1763 wrote:
Is there a reason you want the return so far down in the tank? I would leave it 1.5" While it is overkill big deal. What if you want to put a 1500GPH pump on there some day? You can always underdrive but never overdrive! I'm an overplanner now but I try to keep the holes as high as possible. If a bulkhead or pipe leaks your in trouble with one that far down. Note a huge issue but unless there is a specific reason I'd move it up higher. No external overflow option? It would be on the on the non-viewable side. Totally agree to ditch the low iron. On a tank that small it will not be noticable. said:
Thanks for the input Keith!

The original idea was to have my return blast the back/bottom of the tank and rockwork. However if I put sand in that could be a problem.... I suppose I could have a return in a top corner and aimed down to accomplish the same effect...

One thought I've had is to not drill the return at all run the return over the top. At first it would just be PVC and later (once the money situation resolves itself) install either a Sea Swirl or a Wavy Sea. However, a WS or SS in the top right would mean that one of the Tunzes that are eventually going to go in the system would have to sit pretty low in the tank (below the SS/WS at least). This could lead to a major sandstorm... or would it? Any thoughts?

edit:
GC won't build an external overflow. I'm not sure if Univeral in Houston will either.

I look at the location of your return, what if electric or pump goes out? Disaster, water will drain all the way down to the return. You can make a removable acrylic overflow instead of glueing to to the back glass, here is mine only 1" thick with removable teeth.

overflow.jpg
alt="">

overflow2.jpg
alt="">

@quangtam7 wrote:
I look at the location of your return said:
Ken,

Do you get any sort of noise with yours? That's pretty slim! Also, how much volume are you pushing? Since it's on a NC it can't be that much.. right? :D

Just finished it, I have 1" bulkhead glued to the back of overflow (weldon works very well), plan to use Mag 3 as return pump, 1" drain should handle Mag 3 pretty easily, I think noise won't be problem.

Woo! Just orderd the tank. Final dimensions were 36x24x18, 1/2" glass all sides, with an 18" internal overflow with 2 1" drains. I plan on using a WavySea or SeaSwirl as the return.

Tank came in at just under $400 shipped due to increased labor costs for the overflow and the extra height. Delivery is on the 29th in Denton, so the tank will have to sit for at least 2 or 3 weeks to finish curing.

Anyone got a pickup truck and want to make a drive to Denton with me? :D

Now to get Scott started on the stand....

If you need help hauling the tank let me know.

My truck sits most of the time, I only drive on the weekends due to fuel costs...

Jeff

The scheduled delivery of the tank conflicts with some family obligations that Jeff/Hightech has, so I'm still looking for someone with a truck.

Delivery is Saturday, 3 PM in Denton. I'm willing to pay for gas as well as buy you either beer or frags, whichever is your bigger vice :) If you think you can help, please let me know or I'll be forced to rent a truck.

Thanks!
Nathan
nellio1 AT lsu DOT edu